Obesity Not Hunger

33 minutes ago, Anna B said:

People needing to pay mortgages can be just as badly off, so can working people with bus fares to pay etc. Poverty is no longer confined to the poor. It's creeping up the social scale. 

I don't live on a council estate, but I did as a child and there was nothing wrong with it. My mother was a stay at home housewife for most of my childhood and we ate very well for very little money. But the world has changed since then, not in a good way.

That doesn't make all unfortunate people feckless and lazy, it very much depends on a range of circumstances. Tarring everyone with the same brush is wrong. If it's that good offer to exchange places with them...

And was I doing that?

I have never used a foodbank, but know people who have had to, and their feeling of shame and failure (they're not) just adds to the awful experience. But thank goodness foodbanks are there for emergencies. What a pity that in this day and age they are necessary.

So you managed OK then even with the high inflation, a mortgage to contend with and no food banks, that's good to hear.

Poverty in the UK is very real, and increasing.  

We have been here before.... Its relative poverty that is increasing not real poverty.

31 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What proportion of people on council estates are not in desperate need compared to those that are?

I don't know as I have never done a survey.... maybe you could and report back. Hang on though, do you live on a council estate?

Edited by Dromedary

35 minutes ago, Mister M said:

What proportion of people on council estates are not in desperate need compared to those that are?

I don't know, but it's likely to be higher than in the rest of the population. 

But as I said poverty is not confined to just that section of the population. When your mortgage/rent and household bills exceed your income you are technically in poverty. And with mortgages, energy prices and food prices rising fast surely people can see that a lot of people across the political and economic spectrum are in danger. Some of them are going to lose their homes and be on the street. Is that poor enough for you?

Edited by Anna B

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

but if they just racked up at someone's house, put onions in front of their eyes, and told them to talk about how they're struggling without establishing basic facts and assessing the person's credibility beforehand, then their credibility as a news organisation would be shot to pieces.

So when you see a constant stream of morbidly obese parents claiming they regularly miss meals so their kids can eat, does it not raise a little suspicion in your mind that you are being played by the media, prompting them with questions?

Or the constant nurses are using foodbanks line

Or women spend £1000 pa on period products. How that one ever had any legs is beyond me.

Or a cottage pie ready meal is poison, and contains 25% salt. (It clearly isn't).

Or schoolchildren are so hungry they are eating their pencil erasers.

Or it costs £4.10 in electricity to cook a sunday meal.

All of this has been on TV within the last month or so.

There is no checking of anything it seems - the subject was well parodied on Brass-Eye and Day Today.

---

This is not an attack on overweight people btw, it's hard work to maintain and lose weight.

Nor am I saying people aren't struggling financially, they are, the sudden increase in fuel price is going to be painful for lots of people.

I hope that production team bought her a toaster and a huge tub of Lurpak after filming her crying.

Edited by fools

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I don't know, but it's likely to be higher than in the rest of the population. 

But as I said poverty is not confined to just that section of the population. When your mortgage/rent and household bills exceed your income you are technically in poverty....

And there we have it, it's not real poverty now just technical!

4 minutes ago, fools said:

I hope that production team bought her a toaster and a huge tub of Lurpak after filming her crying.

I wonder if Susanna Reid did that after her interview with Elsie. Strange we never heard much more after that!

Edited by Dromedary

To get back to the thread title, all I'm saying is that fat people might be consuming too many calories, but cheap fast food has more calories than you would believe because of bulking agents, additives and preservatives. They are needed to give what essentially may be little more than grey slurry, texture and flavour. Even savoury foods can contain corn syrup, and that is also highly addictive.

So eating a diet of processed food means you are more likely to be overweight. The dieting industry depend on it...