Obesity Not Hunger

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

To get back to the thread title, all I'm saying is that fat people might be consuming too many calories, but cheap fast food has more calories than you would believe because of bulking agents, additives and preservatives. They are needed to give what essentially may be little more than grey slurry, texture and flavour. Even savoury foods can contain corn syrup, and that is also highly addictive.

So eating a diet of processed food means you are more likely to be overweight. The dieting industry depend on it...

Just don't eat that wafer thin mint..... 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

And there we have it, it's not real poverty now just technical!

I wonder if Susanna Reid did that after her interview with Elsie. Strange we never heard much more after that!

If you can't meet your monthly obligations but are better off you are more likely to have other resources you can sell, or people you can borrow from, or access to credit facilities. That can provide a further safety net for some, that is why I said technically.

Take those away (and they will after a surprisingly short time,) and that person would lose their home just like everyone else. You wouldn't know how broke they are because it's not something they brag about is it?  They may be friends of yours on their uppers, I guarantee it will be at least one person down your road, probably a lot more. If you're in your 50s, made redundant, but with a few quid saved in the bank, you can't get benefits, so that's your old age nest egg gone at the very least, and your decline begins.

However after 12 years of Austerity, those less well off are already likely to have exhausted that avenue, and have nothing left and no one they can borrow off.  So you're on the street.

Edited by Anna B

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

To get back to the thread title, all I'm saying is that fat people might be consuming too many calories, but cheap fast food has more calories than you would believe because of bulking agents, additives and preservatives. They are needed to give what essentially may be little more than grey slurry, texture and flavour. Even savoury foods can contain corn syrup, and that is also highly addictive.

So eating a diet of processed food means you are more likely to be overweight. The dieting industry depend on it...

There's really no such thing as 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food when it comes to weight - being fat or slim is down to calories in versus calories out.

Granted, a lot of more processed food does contain a lot of salt or sugar but those in of themselves won't cause problems for the average person who consumes an appropriate amount of calories and moves a bit.

Not of the 'additives' you mentioned cause weight gain on their own - it's down to calorie intake and expenditure. In 2012/13 i lost around 7 stone - i still ate like a horse, i just started exercising. I still drank alcohol and had kebabs, i was just more active which offset the calories i was consuming.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

There's really no such thing as 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food when it comes to weight.

Granted, a lot of more processed food does contain a lot of salt or sugar but those in of themselves won't cause problems for the average person who consumes an appropriate amount of calories and moves a bit.

I believe the science says it's easier to get fat with junk food because it doesn't send the same signals to the brain for a person to stop eating.

I like to think that I have more will power than most, so I don't get too fat, just a little.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

When your mortgage/rent and household bills exceed your income you are technically in poverty. And with mortgages, energy prices and food prices rising fast surely people can see that a lot of people across the political and economic spectrum are in danger.

Fifty years ago my dad used to start work at 7am and finish at 6pm and work some weekends too. Do people still do that, I don't. We are a richer society these days.

we get more like the americans by the day,larger portions of everything ,i admit i am over weight,but a strange thing is in the 1950s-early 60s in hard times we where fitter on the main kids meat/veg dinners ,no kentucky dominos ect then and we ate more fish/chips as well