Obesity Not Hunger

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Go on then I'll bite. 

Feed a family of four Breakfast, packed lunch. and evening meal plus beverages for 25 quid. Start from scratch, nothing in store cupboard. 

I'd like you to actually cook it too as a practical experiment.

It might help give some people a few ideas on how to manage better.

Ok. Breakfast won’t be cooked but evening meal will be

4 hours ago, sheffbag said:

Ok. Breakfast won’t be cooked but evening meal will be

That's great. Thankyou for taking on the challenge. 

Please show your working out to help other people.

I genuinely hope you do it, I'd rather be wrong on this one.  

11 hours ago, fools said:

if that's £25/week total (<30p/meal), they need to budget better

You just don't get it do you...

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You just don't get it do you...

What don't I get

2 Adults, full time working, plus benefits, child allowance, and they only can afford 29p per meal, it's a ridiculous challenge

Why don't you do it.

Edited by fools

6 hours ago, fools said:

What don't I get

2 Adults, full time working, plus benefits, child allowance, and they only can afford 29p per meal, it's a ridiculous challenge

Why don't you do it.

It all depends on cirumstances.  Once you've paid your mortgage/rent, council tax, energy and utility bills, all your other bills which can include child care, bus fares/ car/ petrol, insurance, broadband and other contracts that can't be cancelled, and quite possibly debts, it's quite possible to have as little as this left for food, some people have nothing left, which is why working people need foodbanks.

A lot of people have no savings, so which of the above obligations do you suggest people cut to save money for food?   

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

some people have nothing left

So which of the above obligations do you suggest people cut to save money for food?   

If you as a family bring in a gross wage of 36500, plus child benefit of 1900, plus whatever else you are entitled to, and only spend 29 pence per meal, you really need to address your priorities and spending choices.

Edited by fools
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

It all depends on circumstances.  Once you've paid your mortgage/rent, council tax, energy and utility bills, all your other bills which can include child care, bus fares/ car/ petrol, insurance, broadband and other contracts that can't be cancelled, and quite possibly debts, it's quite possible to have as little as this left for food, some people have nothing left, which is why working people need foodbanks.

A lot of people have no savings, so which of the above obligations do you suggest people cut to save money for food?   

I believe debts and money management is a big issue for the poor. Which is why they should go back to paying rent directly from benefits.

I have never earned more than £20k per year, I have been a single parent and I have still managed to buy my own home and looking forward to a reasonable retirement.

Never felt the need for a food Bank, but recently got some free apples from a tree. People are obviously not hungry enough to plant an apple tree. 

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I believe debts and money management is a big issue for the poor. Which is why they should go back to paying rent directly from benefits.

I have never earned more than £20k per year, I have been a single parent and I have still managed to buy my own home and looking forward to a reasonable retirement.

Never felt the need for a food Bank, but recently got some free apples from a tree. People are obviously not hungry enough to plant an apple tree. 

Or too hungry to wait for it to grow.

Of course debt and money management is a big issue for the poor. If you don't have enough money for the basics it's bound to be. Those on Universal Credit have to wait a minimum of 5 or 6 weeks for their first payment, (and sometimes as long as 3 months.) That means 5 or 6 weeks (or months) with no money coming in. The only option is to take out a government loan, which then has to be paid back at so much a week, as soon as the money actually starts, so they begin life on UC in debt and with a shortfall in payments. A poor way to start, and one from which some people never recover. 

As I said before, everyone's circumstances are different, and stresses come from any direction. 

I'm glad you managed, and I'm not saying it wasn't just as tough, but I imagine it was before the current cost of living crisis which has made things extreme, and I think that has brought more people to breaking point. 

Edited by Anna B