Samsung S6, Transfer Photos To Laptop

carosio

Tried many ways but no got no further. I downloaded the Samsung driver for this ages ago, the transfers worked for a while then stopped.

I've downloaded driver (V1.4.4.0) once more. The thing is when the phone is plugged in to laptop, no dialog box or indication appears anywhere as though phone didn't exist.

The laptop is not bluetooth enabled. Win 7.

MTP is selected in developer options.

Mine just lets me navigate drives as soon as I plug it in with the charger lead/USB.

You could try emailing photos to yourself and then open up the emails on a laptop and save them from there,  but this could be time consuming if the photos are large and/or you have loads of them.

The S6 is over seven years old, in mobile phone terms it is very old tech.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Mine just lets me navigate drives as soon as I plug it in with the charger lead/USB.

You could try emailing photos to yourself and then open up the emails on a laptop and save them from there,  but this could be time consuming if the photos are large and/or you have loads of them.

The S6 is over seven years old, in mobile phone terms it is very old tech.

My iPhone 5 was even older.

Shouldn't need a driver just to copy files, only for ADB stuff or Samsungs own Kies software.... which sucks!!

plug it in, unlock it - pull down from notification bar at top - and where it says "USB Connection" tap that, and select "File Transfer" from the options that appear - then look in your "My Computer" for the phone, navigate to S6 > DCIM (or where ever your pictures are stored) and copy them over :)

1 minute ago, Ghozer said:

Shouldn't need a driver just to copy files, only for ADB stuff or Samsungs own Kies software.... which sucks!!

plug it in, unlock it - pull down from notification bar at top - and where it says "USB Connection" tap that, and select "File Transfer" from the options that appear - then look in your "My Computer" for the phone, navigate to S6 > DCIM (or where ever your pictures are stored) and copy them over :)

Sounds a bit complicated. I just plug 'em in and they show as an attached device and open automatically - or if they don't, double-click the icon and open.

Might be just easier to sign up for a cloud storage account. 

Google Drive
Microsoft OneDrive
Dropbox 

Three options that all offer mobile apps and desktop apps.

I have a Google Drive and I've not needed to plug my phone in for years. Photos automatically upload to Photos and are availble on my desktop within a minute or two. 

23 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Sounds a bit complicated. I just plug 'em in and they show as an attached device and open automatically - or if they don't, double-click the icon and open.

Because maybe at some point you already selected "file transfer" - likely the first time you plugged it in, it will have then remembered....  or it defaulted as this on your particular phone make/model etc..

Since OP has installed driver, and done whatever else, (and I cannot be sure of the original cause) it may have reset due to thinking its being plugged into a different device.. I know a few years back when I went to use ADB to recover an S5 for someone, then plugged in my S8 I had to re-select on my S8 due to a different driver being installed from last time.

When you plug your phone in next time, look at your phone and pull down the notification blind from the top - there should be a "USB Connection" (or similar) thing in there, when you tap this it will present you with various options... (if it's not there, it'll be in the settings somewhere to toggle USB mode) - all I'm doing is making sure the OP's is on the correct selection - there is also a "Camera/Image Transfer" option - but this then connects the phone as a camera, and shows ONLY the photos - and is usually used for importing via image/library apps etc - or used for direct printing from the phone.. - all android phones have these options, the implementation/access varies slightly from make/version etc...

"File Transfer" mode - shows ALL -accessible- files on the phone (music, downloads, photos etc)

• Like 1