Samsung S6, Transfer Photos To Laptop

carosio

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough, @Ghozer. I don't have a Samsung -it was my sisters, but it did work first time without any need of your excellent guide. Hers is a little newer than the OPs, though.

Im not sure what Samsung defaults to - I can't remember what mine defaulted to (maybe Camera mode) - so yes, to get photos off it will have 'just worked' - shown under 'My Computer' (or whatever) double click and photo's will have been there.... OP may have set to some other (none file access) mode is all :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghozer said:

Shouldn't need a driver just to copy files, only for ADB stuff or Samsungs own Kies software.... which sucks!!

plug it in, unlock it - pull down from notification bar at top - and where it says "USB Connection" tap that, and select "File Transfer" from the options that appear - then look in your "My Computer" for the phone, navigate to S6 > DCIM (or where ever your pictures are stored) and copy them over :)

Unfortunately there's no USB on the drop down menu.

I do sometimes email them to my PC, buts really laborious!

A basic and very common application such as this proves to be so difficult!

1 hour ago, carosio said:

Unfortunately there's no USB on the drop down menu.

I do sometimes email them to my PC, buts really laborious!

A basic and very common application such as this proves to be so difficult!

Odd, as when you plug in USB (using a cable that supports data, and not just power/charging) the phone should detect this and basically give you the option to choose....  have you tried a different cable? - not all cables are made the same :)

also, try another computer if possible...

19 hours ago, metalman said:

I've got a Samsung and I have to do it with the Samsung Smart Switch app, which is a right pain sometimes.

Smart Switch is for moving from one Samsung Phone to another, not for connecting to the computer etc...

Samsung Kies was for that, but it's not deprecated and no longer used as Windows/Mac should be able to deal with the phone's any ways...

if OP is still unable to get it working, i'd suggest trying a different phone on the computer, or, use the phone with a different computer - just to eliminate...

2 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Smart Switch is for moving from one Samsung Phone to another, not for connecting to the computer etc...

Samsung Kies was for that, but it's not deprecated and no longer used as Windows/Mac should be able to deal with the phone's any ways...

if OP is still unable to get it working, i'd suggest trying a different phone on the computer, or, use the phone with a different computer - just to eliminate...

When I get opportunity, I'll do that. My friend's in Spain at mo. I have an old nokia 520 but that's a windows phone.

On 24/10/2022 at 14:22, Ghozer said:

Seems to work fine for my Mac though. If it's not for connecting to the computer, why is there a Smart Switch app for Mac?