Calls For Hillsborough Disaster To Be Taught In Schools

3 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I don't accept that the Liverpool fans were totally blameless that day - I don't mean the ones who were crushed and killed, I'm talking abou the disorderly fans behind them who crushed them. Yes the Police totally messed up but if people were orderly no one would have got crushed.

But that version - though true - won't be told. Stands to reason if they'd queued responsibly many, even all, of the deaths could have been avoided. But that version won't suit the Liverpool fans. They point the blame anywhere but not at themselves.

• Like 1

Significant historical local events are not required in the English National Curriculum so they are not covered. 

It seems odd to me that you can have the Sheffield Blitz as part of a primary school topic but not Hillsborough in secondary.

An opportunity to resolve the anger and misunderstanding still surrounding the events is being missed as is the chance to explore several aspects of human behaviour.

That young people get to understand that there are no simple answers or that the need to blame is sometimes irrational.

14 hours ago, wearysmith said:

But that version - though true - won't be told. Stands to reason if they'd queued responsibly many, even all, of the deaths could have been avoided. But that version won't suit the Liverpool fans. They point the blame anywhere but not at themselves.

Idiots shouldn’t be allowed to practice their stupidity in football stadiums, please note, South Yorkshire Police, SWFC and Liverpool FC, my respect to the loved ones of the dead.

Kids should be taught how to think, not what to think. They should be taught how to be discerning, to see through falsehoods that are presented to them, and get to a more accurate assessment of how and why, things are the way they are.

They should also be encouraged to play chess; and other mental problem solving type activities. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Like 1

On 22/10/2022 at 12:58, Waldo said:

Kids should be taught how to think, not what to think. They should be taught how to be discerning, to see through falsehoods that are presented to them, and get to a more accurate assessment of how and why, things are the way they are.

They should also be encouraged to play chess; and other mental problem solving type activities. 

👍

When competing globally for a productive job, a prospective employer won't be asking them to give an essay on the root causes of a Sheffield fire/riot, racism, gender preferences or such like.  :)