Xmas Market Ect Moves To The Moor,What Do You Think?

That's exactly as I suspected! I was in town with a friend and she said let's visit the Xmas market, but being cynical, I declined and went to Meadowhell instead and actually did pick up some bargains (presents) from Supersave.

But, if there were bargains to be had at the market, I'd like to know.

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Drive past, park at Aldi for nowt, stock up with Xmas goodies, jobs a good un !

Coffee £2.09 a jar :thumbsup:

Scottish logic! Somethings only expensive if you buy it 🧐

Correct.! You will get better bargains at Aldi or Llidl and free parking as well ! 

Guest busdriver1

I love this, you could not make it up.

German and other continental Xmas Markets have evolved over many decades and for most of the stallholders who sell decent products are a real earner just before Xmas. So much so that stall holders have to go on a waiting list to get a pitch with some waiting 10 or more years.

Then we get unimaginative local authorities and other organisations who see these markets and think "lets have a bit of that here". They think they can hit the ground running with a brilliant event and add some credibility by inviting some German stallholders.  The only ones that come are the ones off the waiting lists and very often they are there for a reason.  Add to that some English People selling their home made tat Artisan goods and you have we we see here. The Only Xmas market in the UK that has managed to develop into a decent one is Lincoln and that is because they were streets ahead of the opposition being started in 1982. 

2 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

Drive past, park at Aldi for nowt, stock up with Xmas goodies, jobs a good un !

Coffee £2.09 a jar :thumbsup:

Scottish logic! Somethings only expensive if you buy it 🧐

Surely thats the case for anything and everything though.

Why go to the pub and spend £4 on a pint when you can get 4 cans from Asda for the same amount?

Why go to Costa and spend £4 on a coffee when you can spend pennies on one at home?

Why nip to the sandwich shop for breakfast etc etc 

Breaking news: things are cheaper in some places than others.

As an aside, if anyone wants an actual proper Xmas market, go to Krakow, and do a bit of culture at the same time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atmngl said:

Crikey...

"Planet Cruise concluded which were the best Christmas markets in the world based on seven factors – the number of stalls

..."

Will stop you there. Number of stalls?! It could be 1,000 stalls of utter tat! Quantity does not relate to quality.

34 minutes ago, atmngl said:

Yet the locals are still moaning ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-63713987.amp

BTW, there is already an eight page+ thread whinging about Sheffield Christmas Market. Can a mod combine them. It's only going to be exactly the same arguments round and round after all.  Seems to me you can type in any UK city followed by the words" Xmas market" and get some local rag, facebook group or discussion forum filled with identical whinging, complaining and screaming rip off despite the fact they nearly all seem to be packed out every weekend.  https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/480660-xmas-market-ect-moves-to-the-moorwhat-do-you-think/page/8/#comments

Edited by ECCOnoob

3 hours ago, pattricia said:

Correct.! You will get better bargains at Aldi or Llidl and free parking as well ! 

Aldi’s problem is that it doesn’t stock some items that then leads you elsewhere, and before you ask one of them is disinfectant. They used to stock my favoured lager beer but ceased, I now buy it  elsewhere.