Xmas Market Ect Moves To The Moor,What Do You Think?

On 11/11/2022 at 10:23, bassett one said:

but what is the xmas market like,the could if allowed used the 2 floors at debenhams for a xmas area as well,but that could have security problems ect

Why not cure your thirst for information & go look yourself

On 11/11/2022 at 10:23, bassett one said:

but what is the xmas market like,the could if allowed used the 2 floors at debenhams for a xmas area as well,but that could have security problems ect

They really couldn't. Security problems would have been the least of the complexities. 

Lovely idea as it is, the council can't just take over 2 floors of a building.  Somebody owns that building. How much would it have cost in rent for part or all of it for the duration?  Who will be paying for the cost of the power, heating, lighting? Who will be paying for the cost of restoring the lifts and escalators and checking everything is safe and compliant ready for members of the general public to be accessing the floors after 20 + months of abandonment...

Add on the fact that the building may not even be suitable for hosting such a Christmas market. You can't install chalets inside so how would stallholders present the items. How will things be segregated, how will the footfall work.  How will  preparation of food and drinks be undertaken without the relevant designated areas, installed equipment gas, waste and extraction facilities...

That's before we get onto the the endless red tape regarding building permissions, safety regulations, insurance and change of use permits..... 

Rightly or wrongly, that is the unfortunate realities of anything like this. It really isn't that simple.

19 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

They really couldn't. Security problems would have been the least of the complexities. 

Lovely idea as it is, the council can't just take over 2 floors of a building.  Somebody owns that building. How much would it have cost in rent for part or all of it for the duration?  Who will be paying for the cost of the power, heating, lighting? Who will be paying for the cost of restoring the lifts and escalators and checking everything is safe and compliant ready for members of the general public to be accessing the floors after 20 + months of abandonment...

Add on the fact that the building may not even be suitable for hosting such a Christmas market. You can't install chalets inside so how would stallholders present the items. How will things be segregated, how will the footfall work.  How will  preparation of food and drinks be undertaken without the relevant designated areas, installed equipment gas, waste and extraction facilities...

That's before we get onto the the endless red tape regarding building permissions, safety regulations, insurance and change of use permits..... 

Rightly or wrongly, that is the unfortunate realities of anything like this. It really isn't that simple.

Lottery funding would solve all that

The Moor Market is irrelevant to me. I live in what's probably accepted 25 minutes walking distance - but to counter it's only 5 minutes to the always excellent Wilko on Haymarket and 8-10 minutes to Tesco on Savile St.  The Moor is not be any stretch of the imagination "central" and may as well be in Dore/Dronfield or even Chesterfield to me.

2 hours ago, Martin C said:

The Moor Market is irrelevant to me. I live in what's probably accepted 25 minutes walking distance - but to counter it's only 5 minutes to the always excellent Wilko on Haymarket and 8-10 minutes to Tesco on Savile St.  The Moor is not be any stretch of the imagination "central" and may as well be in Dore/Dronfield or even Chesterfield to me.

Perhaps living in a big city isn't for you.  Maybe you are more suited to some tiny village.

• Haha 1