Moorfoot Building To Be Flats What Peoples Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not that I expect a straight reply, @Planner1, but what about useful, concise reports instead of long winded ones, as I asked earlier today? Or is it like most public sector jobs - make-work, appear to be busy.

I mean, by his own admission he hasnt worked for the local authority for years 🤣 maybe have a chat with your local councillors if you think the format is a joke.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I mean, by his own admission he hasnt worked for the local authority for years 🤣 maybe have a chat with your local councillors if you think the format is a joke.

True, he hasn't, but he goes to great lengths to defend time-wasting - as I'm sure my local councillors would if asked - and it would be a waste of time suggesting anything to the Council. The response would be (probably) 'Oh, but that's the way we've always done it and we don't like change'.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

True, he hasn't, but he goes to great lengths to defend time-wasting - as I'm sure my local councillors would if asked - and it would be a waste of time suggesting anything to the Council. The response would be (probably) 'Oh, but that's the way we've always done it and we don't like change'.

Hmmm... :huh:

Well that can't be right...

... we're constantly being told by certain people on here that it's ONLY the Sheffield PUBLIC that "don't like change"! ;)

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not that I expect a straight reply, @Planner1, but what about useful, concise reports instead of long winded ones, as I asked earlier today? Or is it like most public sector jobs - make-work, appear to be busy.

Which bit of this is it that you don’t get?

The reports are prepared to be read and considered by the decision makers. The councillors.

The councillors have specified exactly what they want to see in the reports, how they are to be written and what format it appears in.

You might find them long winded and repetitive, but they aren’t written for you ( although you do get to see them if you wish). There are very specific legal and governance reasons ( usually to do with how council decisions MUST be recorded ) why some things in the reports are mentioned a number of times in a number of places. 

No one in public service needs to make work for themselves, there’s plenty to do without that.

As I’ve already said, if you look at reports in other councils, they follow very similar formats. That’s is because they have to, in order to meet the legal and governance requirements.

12 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Which bit of this is it that you don’t get?

The reports are prepared to be read and considered by the decision makers. The councillors.

The councillors have specified exactly what they want to see in the reports, how they are to be written and what format it appears in.

You might find them long winded and repetitive, but they aren’t written for you ( although you do get to see them if you wish). There are very specific legal and governance reasons ( usually to do with how council decisions MUST be recorded ) why some things in the reports are mentioned a number of times in a number of places. 

No one in public service needs to make work for themselves, there’s plenty to do without that.

As I’ve already said, if you look at reports in other councils, they follow very similar formats. That’s is because they have to, in order to meet the legal and governance requirements.

Then who ever thought the 'legal and governance' requirements needs to learn how to set them out - repetitive utterances are not helpful,. Clear, concise and objective reports are (a) not as long-winded and (b) easier to understand.

As I said earlier, had I padded out my my reports like that, there would have been a lot of questions asked.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Then who ever thought the 'legal and governance' requirements needs to learn how to set them out - repetitive utterances are not helpful,. Clear, concise and objective reports are (a) not as long-winded and (b) easier to understand.

As I said earlier, had I padded out my my reports like that, there would have been a lot of questions asked.

Yeah, every council in the country that I’ve come across uses a very similar format, but you know better of course. 

If you had presented your reports  in a way that did not comply with the corporate style / format I’m sure there would have been questions asked too.

Like someone else said, if you don’t like how SCC reports are formatted and written, complain to your councillor. The reports are written for them in the style and format they require.