Moorfoot Building To Be Flats What Peoples Thoughts?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 27/10/2022 at 10:46, bassett one said:

with the former man power building being changed to flats and opened up to london road what are peoples thoughts at all these thousands of folk now being brought to live in the city centre and the shalesmoor area?

I don't want it. The council love these developments as they generate more council tax. The property developers love it for obvious reasons. How many more hipsters and yuppies can Sheffield cram in? It's another corner of the city centre being residentialised. City centres are not supposed to be a suburb. They should be places to visit, not live. 

I've always found the building in question to be interesting, from an architectural perspective. I'd like to see something like The Shard in London in Sheffield city centre and this building would be perfect for it. There could be a restaurant on the top floor, with views all over the city, an art gallery on one floor, a cinema on another, a bar on another and some retail space at the bottom, for a Hobb's, Russell & Bromley, Michael Kors, all of the shops that the city centre is missing. It would also provide more footfall for the Moorfoot Market.

Alas, it's going to be more apartments...😪

17 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't want it. The council love these developments as they generate more council tax. The property developers love it for obvious reasons. How many more hipsters and yuppies can Sheffield cram in? It's another corner of the city centre being residentialised. City centres are not supposed to be a suburb. They should be places to visit, not live. 

So you prefer the buildings to be empty and dilapidated?

Its because of the heritage numpties that the Sheffield's Old Town Hall has been empty and decaying since 1995

They'll be sorry when it finally collapses or burns down in a fire

6 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

So you prefer the buildings to be empty and dilapidated?

Its because of the heritage numpties that the Sheffield's Old Town Hall has been empty and decaying since 1995

They'll be sorry when it finally collapses or burns down in a fire

No, I prefer the "regeneration" of the city centre to be leisure/retail/tourism focussed, rather than residential. 

As far as I know, the town hall is still in use as a wedding venue, council HQ and birth registry office. 

Moorfoot House is a fine building, nothing wrong with it and much better than having building after building that all look the same.  My point is about the repurposing, not so much the fact of saving the building though.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

No, I prefer the "regeneration" of the city centre to be leisure/retail/tourism focussed, rather than residential. 

As far as I know, the town hall is still in use as a wedding venue, council HQ and birth registry office. 

Moorfoot House is a fine building, nothing wrong with it and much better than having building after building that all look the same.  My point is about the repurposing, not so much the fact of saving the building though.

He didn't mean THAT Town Hall 🙄🙄

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

No, I prefer the "regeneration" of the city centre to be leisure/retail/tourism focussed

I agree with you but theres no point having bars, restaurants and cinemas if there is no one living nearby to go to them is there

The high street has died so we have to change our city centres 

Especially in a city like Sheffield that its essentially a city made up of dozens of towns and villages

Also,  Meadowhall will always be the main shopping destination for people who want to drive

• Like 1