Moorfoot Building To Be Flats What Peoples Thoughts?

Guest busdriver1
2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

If it is, say, student accommodation, it should release properties in other area which are more suitable as family homes.

Most houses that are let out to students have been made into HMO so would need to be changed considerably and at great expense to then be rented out for a much lower return. Rather than freeing them up, I can see a lot going on the market at fairly high prices irrespective of the fact that they are effectively worthless. 

1 minute ago, busdriver1 said:

Most houses that are let out to students have been made into HMO so would need to be changed considerably and at great expense to then be rented out for a much lower return. Rather than freeing them up, I can see a lot going on the market at fairly high prices irrespective of the fact that they are effectively worthless. 

Another, and valid, way of looking at  it - thanks for sensible reply - they are sadly lacking on this forum.

53 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Terraced housing in say S11 that has been converted to HMO ‘s, at considerable expense, could sell for private usage to professional types, making current student let areas Sheffield’s Chelsea. This would suit the area well as student pockets don’t sit well with Ecclesall Road bars, shops and eateries.

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

I’ve worked in a few of these on Ecclesall Rd . Some of them have 8 bedrooms ( box rooms) . Would need a  few quid spending on them . I wouldn’t say they are worthless 

• Like 1

the other question is why is there a sudden need or want to get people all living in the city centre or is it we need to re-use all the empty offices ect? but this does not replace all the social housing sold and not replaced as promised,causing familys to live in tempory accomidation and one bed flats for familys,plus now the goverment will refurb your property free and pay and guarantee top rent if you offer it for 5 years to boat refuges,so all the empty HMOS will end up accomidating them or scc may take them up on the offer for moor foot as it would be re-furbed free from offices and a big rent guaranteed for would it be 6/700 refuges.

6 hours ago, bassett one said:

with the former man power building being changed to flats and opened up to london road what are peoples thoughts at all these thousands of folk now being brought to live in the city centre and the shalesmoor area?

I think the manpower building will make great flats. Does it still have the terraces and outdoor spaces for gardens?

I see nothing wrong with people living in the heart of the city if that's where they want to be. I'd like to see it be affordable mixed housing for all different age groups, not just for students. IMO makes the city centre more diverse and interesting.