Moorfoot Building To Be Flats What Peoples Thoughts?

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

well if it belongs to scc ,they need to use it or sell it as we have no money

Could they sell it to the National Lottery & then apply for a grant from the National Lottery to buy it back?

On 02/11/2022 at 17:13, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Everybody still knows it as the Manpower Services Commission building, although the MSC itself is long gone.

Do they???   I doubt anyone under 40 knows it as that. Neither will the thousands of fresh face students coming into the city every year.

Good grief us Sheffielders really love clinging on to long defunct names don't we. It's Cole Brothers all over again.

Given the manpower services commission was disbanded by 1987, I would suggest that more people know it as simply Moorfoot or that big red building given the revolving door of government departments throughout the 90s and the council moving in as far back as 2011. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Do they???   I doubt anyone under 40 knows it as that. Neither will the thousands of fresh face students coming into the city every year.

^This. I came here in 2003 and - like 'Cole Brothers' - picked up on 'Manpower' as a local name but it was hardly the only name used for the building, and not even used that regularly as far as I recall. 'Moorfoot' or just a vague, dismissive gesture towards it were the usual ways of it being referred to in conversation.

Manpower and Cole Brothers now are names that are certainly in my head and occasionally come to mind when I think about either building but I'd never use them out loud and I can't think of the last time anyone I was talking to used them either.