Do You Believe In Ghosts ?

2 hours ago, GhostRiders said:

The amount of people who believe in ghosts is one of the greatest markers of the epidemic of the lack of critical thinking in our society.

It genuinely concerns me.

With the state of the guff that some folk ferret out of their rabbit holes these days and hold up as The Truth, belief in ghosts is now but a minor eccentricity.  Or a gateway drug.  One minute you're watching videos about Borley Rectory on YouTube, the next you're riding that algorithm to believing that your vaccinations have made you magnetic and/or a transmitter to the alien lizards on Jupiter.

On 10/02/2024 at 14:24, GhostRiders said:

I mean I'd feel a bit weird sleeping in your loft lol.

What makes you think there's a ghost in your loft.

Son found a dead wasp nest,  there could be a few making noises still alive!!!!!!!!

The problem with people who believe in "ghosts" is that it tends to be because they experienced something they can't readily explain, apply this to a magic trick though - a magician performs a trick you can't explain, do you then believe that he/she has supernatural powers?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

The problem with people who believe in "ghosts" is that it tends to be because they experienced something they can't readily explain, apply this to a magic trick though - a magician performs a trick you can't explain, do you then believe that he/she has supernatural powers?

No

9 hours ago, RootsBooster said:

I think there's more to it than that.  An appreciative crowd will applaud a magician performing an amazing display of cold reading knowing that it's skilful showmanship refined by hour upon hour of practice.  Even if they can't explain exactly how he does it, no one believes that he has the supernatural power to really contact the dead.

Shift the context to a medium giving a reading to a grieving mark and you'll have many of those same people refusing to believe that he's doing anything other than conversing with the dearly departed.  Same skills.  Different context. 

Edited by Guest

On 10/02/2024 at 15:04, Hecate said:

With the state of the guff that some folk ferret out of their rabbit holes these days and hold up as The Truth, belief in ghosts is now but a minor eccentricity.  Or a gateway drug.  One minute you're watching videos about Borley Rectory on YouTube, the next you're riding that algorithm to believing that your vaccinations have made you magnetic and/or a transmitter to the alien lizards on Jupiter.

I think the lizards on Jupiter have an undeserved bad rep. People are so judgemental. 

• Haha 1

I've always been very sceptic about things associated with the Occult.

Until one strange night in "Padders Bar"

I got up one morning and viewed the security camera.

On the footage was a very disturbing happening, this has become known as the mystery of the "Sliding Beer Bottle"

Many people have tried to fathom out how this happened, but to no avail.

I finished up contacting that well known paranormal investigator Mr. Bloke.

He invited me to send the footage to his Laboratory, along with an unlimited supply of Sambuca Cocktails.

He did however, come up with an explanation, and for the price of a box of cheesy puffs, sent me his findings.

"Dear Mr. Padders, this phenomenon is known as a Funnel Ghost or Vortex, they usually take on the shape of a swirling beer bottle.

Paranormal experts (such as myself) believe they are a loved one or former resident of the bar returning for a visit"

Mr. Bloke has this footage, and I'm wondering if he can release it for the benefit of Forum members.

Just recently I've had a case of "Ectoplasm" on the steps leading to the cellar, as "Padders Bar" dates back to the 15th century I suppose it's not unusual.

I don't actually believe in ghosts, but strange things do happen........

• Haha 1