Do You Believe In Ghosts ?

2 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Fairly sure we'd all have liked to have been in an episode of 'Supernatural'.....

Oh dear god yes.  I'll be Charlie:

Of course i don't believe in Ghosts, don't be silly. but the Snooker Hall underneath The Abbeydale Picture house is definitely haunted.

(about 20 years ago now, but...) i've had cue-chalks thrown at me from empty corners.

i'm having nothing to do with that kind of thing, thankyou very much. I prefer staying away from places that are haunted, so i can continue to be sure that ghosts aren't real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/02/2024 at 10:35, Padders said:

I once fell in love with a fortune teller.

She left me before we met?

And cost you a fiver to read your palm ....Blackpool 🤣🤣🤣🤣🙄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2024 at 08:50, Hecate said:

I think there's more to it than that.  An appreciative crowd will applaud a magician performing an amazing display of cold reading knowing that it's skilful showmanship refined by hour upon hour of practice.  Even if they can't explain exactly how he does it, no one believes that he has the supernatural power to really contact the dead.

Shift the context to a medium giving a reading to a grieving mark and you'll have many of those same people refusing to believe that he's doing anything other than conversing with the dearly departed.  Same skills.  Different context. 

...and with no more reason to in believe one than the other

7 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

...and with no more reason to in believe one than the other

I think the reason, Scully, is that they want to believe.

That and the fact that they know that it's just a trick when a magician's assistant wiggles her toes in the box that's just been separated from the box that contains her top half, so the cold reading he does is just a clever trick too.  That nice lady though, she's really talking to dearly departed uncle Bob.