Do You Believe In Ghosts ?

I was once on the ship Discovery in Dundee. Having gone downstairs to the dining room area I happened to look up at a window and there was someone with his/her head  fully through the window.

Once on deck I looked at the window and it was bolted shut.

Make of this what you will.

Some years ago my neighbour used to save me the Sheffield Star every day then on Saturday as I was coming up my path she used to shout “ Pat !” at the top of her voice and hand me the  weeks Stars over the hedge between us. Some years later she died and two weeks afterwards  I was coming up my path one Saturday when I heard her voice shout loudly “ Pat” at the top of her voice. I ran to the hedge but no one was there.! I have never told anyone about this as I’m sure they wouldn’t believe me.

3 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Some years ago my neighbour used to save me the Sheffield Star every day then on Saturday as I was coming up my path she used to shout “ Pat !” at the top of her voice and hand me the  weeks Stars over the hedge between us. Some years later she died and two weeks afterwards  I was coming up my path one Saturday when I heard her voice shout loudly “ Pat” at the top of her voice. I ran to the hedge but no one was there.! I have never told anyone about this as I’m sure they wouldn’t believe me.

I believe you Patricia. 

When my dog died (aged 13) for weeks I kept 'hearing him'.. 

I'd hear his breathing, his mumbling, I was certain I'd heard his chain link collar too. 

It drove me nuts and I put it down to missing him badly. Maybe it was, maybe it was my old friend saying goodbye.

I like to think it was the latter.

No.  Perception is fallible by its nature, which is why we perceive figures and faces in random noise, are fooled by simple illusions and by magicians who make you see the impossible right under your nose, even though you know it's all a trick.  

Memory is fragile and easily manipulated; you only have to have look at eyewitness testimony and false memory syndrome to know that.  And of course people desperately want to believe comforting ideas, like that we're not just food for worms, which is why grifters can convince you that they can talk to the dead.

There's plenty of evidence out there offering up logical, sensible, practical and very much down-to-earth explanations for supposed paranormal phenomena.  But that's all a bit dull, isn't it, and science is difficult and boring, so spooky cloaked monks and messages from Doris it is.

Has anyone mentioned that Shakespeare yet?

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I believe you Patricia. 

When my dog died (aged 13) for weeks I kept 'hearing him'.. 

I'd hear his breathing, his mumbling, I was certain I'd heard his chain link collar too. 

It drove me nuts and I put it down to missing him badly. Maybe it was, maybe it was my old friend saying goodbye.

I like to think it was the latter.

My son lost his black Labrador three weeks ago. He is still heartbroken and can’t be persuaded to throw his dogs feeding bowl away.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

And please don't go anywhere near ouija boards. 

Why? You do realise it was designed as a novelty family game which was also very popular and profitable for the manufacturers.

Worth a read.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-strange-and-mysterious-history-of-the-ouija-board-5860627/

And to answer the OP, no I don't believe in ghosts.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I’m glad you warned us about ouija boards as I think young people don’t understand the danger that they pose.

Which is absolutely zero whether you are young or not!

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

I’m glad you warned us about ouija boards as I think young people don’t understand the danger that they pose.

They don't pose a danger in themselves.  Their use can be dangerous in that people who really really want to believe in the paranormal might do themselves some psychological harm by getting caught up in that belief and the false and misleading, but spooky and disturbing, tales that surround its use.

The movement of the pointer on the board is partly due to a well-known physiological mechanism called the ideomotor effect (subconscious muscle movement, essentially), and also to people deliberately moving the the pointer to cause mischief and scare their companions.  Here's an interesting article about it.

Having said all that, any true believers now convinced that the movement isn't due to ghosts and spirits?  Thought not :D .

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, pattricia said:

My son lost his black Labrador three weeks ago. He is still heartbroken and can’t be persuaded to throw his dogs feeding bowl away.

I'm sorry to hear that. Let him keep it? He'll let it go when the time is right.