Not Having A Funeral

A relative of mine has stated that she doesnt want a funeral when she dies (which wont be long now, sadly). She just wants a "direct cremation". This isnt for cost issues either btw.

Personally I dont agree but there will be no issue in carrying out these wishes. What do other forum members think about a "no funeral" death - is it something that has happened to you recently with a loved one, did the family fall out over it etc etc?

Edited by HeHasRisen

Surely in these times when people see each other less and have fewer friends, a wake is ideal. It's not a religious event, it's just a celebration of of person's life, or death if you are so inclined.

Do the deceased wishes matter, if they have become old and disillusioned with life?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Surely in these times when people see each other less and have fewer friends, a wake is ideal. It's not a religious event, it's just a celebration of of person's life, or death if you are so inclined.

Do the deceased wishes matter, if they have become old and disillusioned with life?

She doesnt even want a wake. No service, no wake, no nothing.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

I kind of partly agree with your first comment, but strongly disagree with your second - not adhering to their wishes, IMO, is disrespectful.

22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Not happened to me - but that is already my wish for when I go, and that of a number of my friends/close acquaintances.

Same here and I also know several who are also wanting the same.

The late David Bowie also went down the same route! The only people it seems to annoy are the rip off funeral directors.

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

We've already discussed this on here not long ago,  but my feeling is that people should make their relatives aware of their intentions beforehand to give them time to get used to the idea.        Then do exactly as you think best.      The only drawback with  direct cremations etc is that the deceased person is collected from where they died, be it home or hospital,  and that's the last you see of them.    so if you were wanting to have family & friends pay their last respects at the chapel of rest it's probably not for you.

You have to call them when your loved one dies & arrange collection,  so you could always take your time about doing that to give people chance to come and say goodbye.

I've used these companies twice now & recommend it.          

14 minutes ago, lovelace said:

We've already discussed this on here not long ago,  but my feeling is that people should make their relatives aware of their intentions beforehand to give them time to get used to the idea.        Then do exactly as you think best.      The only drawback with  direct cremations etc is that the deceased person is collected from where they died, be it home or hospital,  and that's the last you see of them.    so if you were wanting to have family & friends pay their last respects at the chapel of rest it's probably not for you.

You have to call them when your loved one dies & arrange collection,  so you could always take your time about doing that to give people chance to come and say goodbye.

I've used these companies twice now & recommend it.          

Hmmm... :huh:

In which case a certain Mr Risen will be along shortly to suggest that the thread be closed and is merged with the earlier one... :roll:

... oh... hang on... :hihi: