Not Having A Funeral

22 minutes ago, lovelace said:

We all know the dread when a funeral's coming up,   it's horrible.   Although they're better nowadays with humanist funerals,  it's less formal & tailored to the person who died rather than all the religious droning on & doom & gloom.         They talk about that person's life & you can actually laugh, when you thought you'd never laugh again.       Mourners dress more casually as well but I'm not sure that's a good thing,  sometimes people look as if they're going to a nightclub rather than a sad occasion.    

When my time comes they can do what they want with me,  I won't be bothered.          

I’m old school when it comes to dressing for funerals. Recently I was offered a ride to a mutual friend’s funeral and I was stood there waiting for my lift to turn up in my dark suit, polished shoes, white shirt and black tie. He knocked on my door in Hawaiian shirt and sunglasses, I thought it must have been cancelled.

On the other hand, I’ve been to another since where the family requested informal dress and it was probably the best send off I’ve ever been to.

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

A relative of mine has stated that she doesnt want a funeral when she dies (which wont be long now, sadly). She just wants a "direct cremation". This isnt for cost issues either btw.

Personally I dont agree but there will be no issue in carrying out these wishes. What do other forum members think about a "no funeral" death - is it something that has happened to you recently with a loved one, did the family fall out over it etc etc?

Good for them. I completely agree with them.

I think it's about time that there was some disruptors in the world of funerals and less focus on people feeling they need to spend vast amounts of money and almost be compelled to 'put on a show' after their death.  

As someone who is totally non-religious and always had the mantra of ...once you're dead you're dead...  , I'll be more than happy to simply be quickly cremated and that's it done.  Body Disposal r Us. Simply toasted. End of days solutions. Whatever one wants to call it - it suits me.

Memories of my late father remain in my head, from photographs, from objects, from locations. It's legacy through those mean far more than I will ever remember from some fancy funeral service or a load of blabbering from some minister.  I'm sure I can't be alone in that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Padders said:

Oh dear, 

My Sister-in- Law ashes were scattered at sea in Whitby, and she was a big Blade.

Can't we make do with Blackpool, + the crystal ball and a cheap burger...

OMG not a united fan,yeah get pen out blackpool my ashes crystal ball in irish sea ,fitting really as i am half irish so yeah and theres loads of pubs inc my favourite MA KELLYS always plenty of crappy singers on there,they have about 10 per day,but just as the omg get off comes to mind in comes the next tv reject at 1st show,well they dont even get past the judges to get there,but its fun watching them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Went to one of those the other week ,   No funeral / cremation , no service  , just a get together , bit of a buffet and a few pints to remember him .

There are things that we can do while our friends are still alive.

On 31/10/2022 at 21:01, ECCOnoob said:

Good for them. I completely agree with them.

I think it's about time that there was some disruptors in the world of funerals and less focus on people feeling they need to spend vast amounts of money and almost be compelled to 'put on a show' after their death.  

As someone who is totally non-religious and always had the mantra of ...once you're dead you're dead...  , I'll be more than happy to simply be quickly cremated and that's it done.  Body Disposal r Us. Simply toasted. End of days solutions. Whatever one wants to call it - it suits me.

Memories of my late father remain in my head, from photographs, from objects, from locations. It's legacy through those mean far more than I will ever remember from some fancy funeral service or a load of blabbering from some minister.  I'm sure I can't be alone in that.

Exactly.       :thumbsup:

More people are choosing to have a direct cremation.  My late mother didn't want a funeral but I was worried about what other people would think of me if I didn't have one. That was 9 years ago. I can't remember direct funerals being advertised then if they were I would have had one.  I went to view my mother in a coffin at the funeral home.  I wished I hadn't because at times that is how I remember her instead of how she was.  There is none of that with a direct funeral