Not Having A Funeral

14 minutes ago, lovelace said:

....The only drawback with  direct cremations etc is that the deceased person is collected from where they died, be it home or hospital,  and that's the last you see of them.    so if you were wanting to have family & friends pay their last respects at the chapel of rest it's probably not for you.

You have to call them when your loved one dies & arrange collection,  so you could always take your time about doing that to give people chance to come and say goodbye.

That will not happen for me as it is forbidden in my will. If family or friends can't be bothered to visit me when alive and keep up to date then they certainly won't be doing it when I'm dead!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

That will not happen for me as it is forbidden in my will. 

To be fair how could it be enforced if you are not around to enforce it?

I dont agree with the practice of going against wishes in wills, btw, but this isnt a financial request covered by probate etc.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I dont agree with the practice of going against wishes in wills, btw, but this isnt a financial request covered by probate etc.

It is up to your executor(s) to ensure your wishes are followed.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

It is up to your executor(s) to ensure your wishes are followed.

He or she cant stop people organising their own "wake", though. Yes the executor can decide what happens to the body and can stop it pitching up at a funeral service.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

He or she cant stop people organising their own "wake", though. Yes the executor can decide what happens to the body.

True, they can't, but they can ensure the wishes of the deceased are carried out - in fact that is one of their main responsibilities.

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

By having my will written to respect my wishes regarding disposal of my shell otherwise no on get anything and it all goes to the RSPCA, baring funeral costs etc.

Money is a great incentive!

Edited by Dromedary

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

He or she cant stop people organising their own "wake", though. Yes the executor can decide what happens to the body.

My mother in law once said that if I went first she would love to dance on my grave, burial at sea came readily to mind.

Edited by crookesey
  • Haha 2

We've already discussed this on here not long ago,  but my feeling is that people should make their relatives aware of their intentions beforehand to give them time to get used to the idea.        Then do exactly as you think best.      The only drawback with  direct cremations etc is that the deceased person is collected from where they died, be it home or hospital,  and that's the last you see of them.    so if you were wanting to have family & friends pay their last respects at the chapel of rest it's probably not for you.

You have to call them when your loved one dies & arrange collection,  so you could always take your time about doing that to give people chance to come and say goodbye.

I've used these companies twice now & recommend it.          

It was the thread called "Burial ? Cremation ? Boil in a bag  which I think was started by Padders.

Just now, Dromedary said:

By having my will written to respect my wishes regarding disposal of my shell otherwise no on get anything and it all goes to the RSPCA, baring funeral costs etc.

Well yes, thats fair enough. You can decide where your money goes, and where your body goes, but as said, if a load of your mates want to hold an "wake" you cant really stop that.

Just now, lovelace said:

We've already discussed this on here not long ago,  but my feeling is that people should make their relatives aware of their intentions beforehand to give them time to get used to the idea.        Then do exactly as you think best.      The only drawback with  direct cremations etc is that the deceased person is collected from where they died, be it home or hospital,  and that's the last you see of them.    so if you were wanting to have family & friends pay their last respects at the chapel of rest it's probably not for you.

I've used these companies twice now & recommend it.          

It was the thread called "Burial ? Cremation ? Boil in a bag  which I think was started by Padders.

Right so it was a generic thread about death then rather than specifically about a "no funeral" death. 

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, thats fair enough. You can decide where your money goes, and where your body goes, but as said, if a load of your mates want to hold an "wake" you cant really stop that.

No a wake is fine and money saved from the funeral costs will pay for a good p**s up!