Should Sheffield Take Refugees

Just now, makapaka said:

You’re being daft again.

So that's a no then.

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Makapaka back from forcing the lovely fragrant Pat from the forum, for another go.

Fragrant Pat🤣🤣🤣

On a more serious note I hope she keeps posting. The forum wouldn't be the same without her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

🤣 Why, because not everyone wants more people foisted on us?

Tell you what, why don't you house a few immigrants.  A family maybe? 

Will you do it?

The Home Office said: "The number of people arriving in the UK who require accommodation has reached record levels and has put our asylum system under incredible strain.

"The use of hotels to house asylum seekers is unacceptable - there are currently more than 37,000 asylum seekers in hotels costing the UK taxpayer £5.6m a day.

"The use of hotels is a short-term solution and we are working hard with local authorities to find appropriate accommodation."

Remember the politician cliche 'We work for you'
Regarding £5.6m a day it seems like we work for them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

The Home Office said: "The number of people arriving in the UK who require accommodation has reached record levels and has put our asylum system under incredible strain.

"The use of hotels to house asylum seekers is unacceptable - there are currently more than 37,000 asylum seekers in hotels costing the UK taxpayer £5.6m a day.

"The use of hotels is a short-term solution and we are working hard with local authorities to find appropriate accommodation."

Remember the politician cliche 'We work for you'
Regarding £5.6m a day it seems like we work for them

Yeah it's an obscene amount of money and I expect that figure to rise dramatically. The politicians don't care because they generally don't have to suffer from the results of a large influx of new people putting even more strain on already limited resources. 

• Like 1

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

So that's a no then

Course it’s a no - why would I have a family of refugees move into my house - as if that’s some kind of top trump argument that means I’m a hypocrite.

For the record I thought some of the comments on question time last night hit the mark re immigration.

it needs to be managed properly not stopped altogether.

The whole system is impractical,  the borrowing is escalating which is surely a good enough reason to send illegal immigrants (those who have crossed by boat particularly)  back by airplane  to a safe country.

Edited by cressida
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Minimo said:

Genuine serious question. Many immigrants are of the Muslim faith. I just wonder why don't they try for another Muslim country rather than a basically Christian country?  Wouldn't they feel more at home among their own kind rather than what is to them an alien culture?

But the vast majority of them do. Whenever you see headlines about tens of thousands of people coming to the UK in boats and applying for asylum, you have to remember that, for example, there are currently 3 million Afghan refugees living just in Pakistan. Overall, there are a handful of countries like Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria which have had major wars, often instigated by Western powers, that have created tens of millions of refugees, only a tiny proportion of whom end up in the UK.

As for why some choose the UK, there can be many reasons. Perhaps they have relatives here. Or perhaps they speak English reasonably well and so would prefer to settle in an English-speaking country. Or perhaps the country they first applied for asylum in happens to have a population that is deeply hostile to foreigners, and after a year of abuse and being discriminated against in housing, employment etc, they are trying to get to somewhere which they have heard is more tolerant.

If for some reason the UK descended into civil war, I might well try to flee to Canada rather than France.

• Like 1

Guest makapaka
On 03/11/2022 at 12:52, pattricia said:

It’s strange that the migrants complain of having nothing, yet they paid people smugglers for a place on the boat ! 

Aye cos your obviously in a great place if you pay a people smuggler to put you on a dinghy in the North Sea.

im surprised they don’t just use their air miles……

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Aye cos your obviously in a great place if you pay a people smuggler to put you on a dinghy in the North Sea.

im surprised they don’t just use their air miles……

They wouldn't have to risk a dinghy journey if they stayed in France.

• Like 1