Should Nurse's Strike?

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Be interested to know how many nurses are using foodbanks, as a percentage of the profession.

I will plump for "less than 0.05%".

It would be interesting to know who put this story into the public realm in the first place, none of the media seem to question  it.

green party were tweeting about pencil rubber munchers the other day

Edited by fools

2 minutes ago, fools said:

It would be interesting to know who put this story into the public realm in the first place, none of the media seem to question  it.

green party were tweeting about pencil rubber munchers the other day

It will have been based on one person no doubt, which proves the sum total of absolutely nothing.

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There are left wing supporters on giving their views but they are balanced by the other guest and Mrs. Dewberry.

prefer headliners, they take the mick out of the news

Edited by fools

Just now, fools said:

I get angry when journalists do not ask very relevant questions.

They seem to just tell one side of a story.

What really annoys me about the debate around the NHS, is the knee jerk reaction of some on the Left to any mention of the NHS using services supplied by private companies.

Everything has to be done by the NHS, regardless of whether the NHS has the technical capacity to do it or any experience of having implemented it.

I work for a private NHS supplier, my partner works as an NHS employee.

We are both equally committed to the NHS and use only its services.

The company I work for supplies IT services to NHS customers.

Some NHS Trusts pay us to implement and run those services for them, because they do not have the IT resources to run high availability cloud based clinical services and we do.

Same way some Trusts pay private sector companies to provide other services that they believe can be done better by outsourcing.

Sure some of that may be cost (catering for example)...but in other cases it is lack of technical knowledge.

The Trusts were not forced to accept our services, like a PFI contract...they put it out to tender, got demos and selected us themselves.

These services include mobile clinical systems used by NHS staff by the bedside, that demonstrably improve patient care...mainly around sepsis and the monitoring of patient vital signs.

What is wrong with that approach?

Nothing.

A majority of my colleagues are ex NHS employees.

Some are very experienced clinical staff who can see that new technology can really improve patient care and reduce the mistakes they saw in the NHS.

From my personal family experience of NHS care...I rate the clinicians highly...but sometimes they do seem to be fighting against the system they work within, which forces them to work the old way and kills their desire to innovate...especially the younger generation of doctors and nurses, who are tech savvy. 

Surely a partnership between public and private sector to deliver improved patient care is the best way forward?

I for one, would give my right arm for a health service that supplies much better patient outcomes than the NHS sometimes does...e.g. the French system looks good.

I would be happy paying via some National Insurance scheme for that care and getting the vast majority back...as I believe the French system currently works.

Sure there is a small charge...but you get a consultation and a scan in a few days...not month like the NHS.

Some on the Left however will never want to have this discussion...because of ideology.

All they see is the erosion of Union power in the NHS, by the use of external non public sector employees...and private employees don't tend to strike.

And the less people in UNISON / UNITE...the less power they have, to resist change to their working practices and the transformation of the current 1940s era NHS into the 21st Century model it desperately needs to become.

They are dinosaurs with a vested interest in inertia...and a massive hurdle to real reform and improved, innovative clinical care.

In some cases this is as simple as not being willing to use a touchscreen or a mouse...because their old green screen system used the keyboard only and that is what they are used to.

Or not wanting to take blood and order from the patients bedside via mobile technology (which can be done now), because they want to continue to use a paper form, it's not in their job description or they have mates in the Phlebotomy department who may get less work to do.

If you ask anyone in the NHS if they think it needs rethinking to supply more preventative and diagnostic intervention to stop people becoming ill, rather than treating them when they are (very) ill...then the vast majority would agree.

I think it is changing along these lines, but far too slowly.

A few years back I was sent by my GP (again a private contractor) on a very useful Anti-Diabetes course (again supplied by a private company)...that really helped me understand the condition and how to change my lifestyle to prevent it.

That is what the NHS should be doing on a massive scale.

Pulling people in, scanning them and actively helping them live a healthier life.

Prevention, not cure is the way forward.

Some on the Left need to understand that Clement Attlee is no longer Prime Minister.

The NHS sometimes feels more like "Indian Railways" than the responsive health system of a modern Western state it deserves to be.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

What really annoys me about the debate around the NHS, is the knee jerk reaction of some on the Left to any mention of the NHS using services supplied by private companies.

Everything has to be done by the NHS, regardless of whether the NHS has the technical capacity to do it or any experience of having implemented it.

I work for a private NHS supplier, my partner works as an NHS employee.

We are both equally committed to the NHS and use only its services.

The company I work for supplies IT services to NHS customers.

Some NHS Trusts pay us to implement and run those services for them, because they do not have the IT resources to run high availability cloud based clinical services and we do.

Same way some Trusts pay private sector companies to provide other services that they believe can be done better by outsourcing.

Sure some of that may be cost (catering for example)...but in other cases it is lack of technical knowledge.

The Trusts were not forced to accept our services, like a PFI contract...they put it out to tender, got demos and selected us themselves.

These services include mobile clinical systems used by NHS staff by the bedside, that demonstrably improve patient care...mainly around sepsis and the monitoring of patient vital signs.

What is wrong with that approach?

Nothing.

A majority of my colleagues are ex NHS employees.

Some are very experienced clinical staff who can see that new technology can really improve patient care and reduce the mistakes they saw in the NHS.

From my personal family experience of NHS care...I rate the clinicians highly...but sometimes they do seem to be fighting against the system they work within, which forces them to work the old way and kills their desire to innovate...especially the younger generation of doctors and nurses, who are tech savvy. 

Surely a partnership between public and private sector to deliver improved patient care is the best way forward?

I for one, would give my right arm for a health service that supplies much better patient outcomes than the NHS sometimes does...e.g. the French system looks good.

I would be happy paying via some National Insurance scheme for that care and getting the vast majority back...as I believe the French system currently works.

Sure there is a small charge...but you get a consultation and a scan in a few days...not month like the NHS.

Some on the Left however will never want to have this discussion...because of ideology.

All they see is the erosion of Union power in the NHS, by the use of external non public sector employees...and private employees don't tend to strike.

And the less people in UNISON / UNITE...the less power they have, to resist change to their working practices and the transformation of the current 1940s era NHS into the 21st Century model it desperately needs to become.

They are dinosaurs with a vested interest in inertia...and a massive hurdle to real reform and improved, innovative clinical care.

In some cases this is as simple as not being willing to use a touchscreen or a mouse...because their old green screen system used the keyboard only and that is what they are used to.

Or not wanting to take blood and order from the patients bedside via mobile technology (which can be done now), because they want to continue to use a paper form, it's not in their job description or they have mates in the Phlebotomy department who may get less work to do.

If you ask anyone in the NHS if they think it needs rethinking to supply more preventative and diagnostic intervention to stop people becoming ill, rather than treating them when they are (very) ill...then the vast majority would agree.

I think it is changing along these lines, but far too slowly.

A few years back I was sent by my GP (again a private contractor) on a very useful Anti-Diabetes course (again supplied by a private company)...that really helped me understand the condition and how to change my lifestyle to prevent it.

That is what the NHS should be doing on a massive scale.

Pulling people in, scanning them and actively helping them live a healthier life.

Prevention, not cure is the way forward.

Some on the Left need to understand that Clement Attlee is no longer Prime Minister.

The NHS sometimes feels more like "Indian Railways" than the responsive health system of a modern Western state it deserves to be.

Very good post.

One thing I would add is that when the NHS is mentioned the problems with the American system are trotted out as though no other country has an effective and efficient system of healthcare.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Very good post.

One thing I would add is that when the NHS is mentioned the problems with the American system are trotted out as though no other country has an effective and efficient system of healthcare.

I agree. In fact the American system and our NHS are probably the two extremes...

In between are many other systems that we could emulate that I think the public would support if they knew more about them.

In fact, some, such as the Spanish system are frequently used by expat Brits abroad.

The NHS is good at some things...but poor on some clinical outcomes.

It should not be sacred...but should adapt.

6 minutes ago, fools said:

the food bank line was reiterated 4 times by the host

another nurse called in moaning about her take home pay after tax being only £2400/month

After tax, NI, Union membership, maybe still a student loan, and almost certainly a percentage deduction to the lovely pension she will be getting. Absolutely unbelievable.

Go and clap for them, sheeple!

Edited by HeHasRisen