Should Nurse's Strike?

On our ward most full time Nurses and CSWs are contracted to either 36 or 37.5 hours per week.

36 is usually 3 long days (12 hours).

37.5 is the same plus 1 make up shift a month (an early or late, 6 hours).

They can then pick up bank shifts if they want but there’s limits to how many days on the trot they can work etc. 

Edited by nikki-red

4 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

On our ward most full time Nurses and CSWs are contracted to either 36 or 37.5 hours per week.

36 is usually 3 long days (12 hours).

37.5 is the same plus 1 make up shift a month (an early or late, 6 hours).

They can then pick up bank shifts if they want but there’s limits to how many days on the trot they can work etc. 

So the person a few pages back claiming he knew someone who worked 5 12 hour shifts a week....assume this is by choice?

51 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

After tax, NI, Union membership, maybe still a student loan, and almost certainly a percentage deduction to the lovely pension she will be getting. Absolutely unbelievable.

Go and clap for them, sheeple!

slightly ambiguous sarcasm there

3 minutes ago, El Cid said:

In Scotland their NHS has accepted a £2,400 pay rise.

Willing to be corrected.

It's the unions that have accepted what amounts to an average 5% pay rise, not the NHS.

https://www.gov.scot/news/record-pay-deal-for-nhs-scotland-staff/

From the above:

“Following constructive discussions with unions and employers, we are offering the biggest single year NHS pay uplift since devolution.

“Experienced porters will receive more than £1,000 extra, while a healthcare support worker will see more than £1,200 extra. Experienced nurses will see their pay rise by more than £1,600 and an experienced advanced nurse practitioner will receive almost £2,400 more.

18 minutes ago, fools said:

still vague, nevermind

Well they are one in many going on strike , and if they can’t live on what they are paid. that is the only way,   for onei  would march in support for them , and if they do like miners did going round for donations i will gladly support them ,I But I am firm believer in a fair days work for a fair days pay , But I know most conservatives will disagree ,  my own  view .

4 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Well they are one in many going on strike , and if they can’t live on what they are paid. that is the only way

Does 2400 after deductions per month sound unreasonable to you?

Thats likely approaching £40k a year gross.