Should Nurse's Strike?

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Perhaps not. However claims that nurses are "on the breadline" and "14% have to resort to foodbanks" are beyond absurd and are likely made up to play on the emotions of those who clapped like seals on their front doorsteps in 2020.

But doesn't it depend on their circumstances. If they live in London, their rent will be sky high. If they have toddlers, childcare is extortionate. 

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Perhaps not. However claims that nurses are "on the breadline" and "14% have to resort to foodbanks" are beyond absurd and are likely made up to play on the emotions of those who clapped like seals on their front doorsteps in 2020.

Those were great days. I miss the Thursday 8pm ritual. I think it should be brought back.

Confession.....My guilty pleasure was to drive around Brinsworth at that time, when I heard a clap I'd crank up the stereo and play sheep and seal sounds from a pre prepared memory stick.

Now that was fun...

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

That’s as may be.

But whether 14%, or even 1%, of nurses -or ‘lesser’ healthcare employees- are on the breadline and use food banks, hardly rates as a bone of contention in the grander scheme of things: pay levels of NHS employees have been suppressed for years and longer, still are, and that’s driving attrition in staffing levels to unprecedented levels now that similarly-unprecedented (well, in recent years) levels of inflation are biting in.

So the nurses now strike. They may get something, they may not. Unless it’s something, and substantial, attrition will continue, to the point wherein the NHS eventually cannot continue to deliver its healthcare safely or effectively.

In some Trusts, going by the increasing frequency of “serious incidents” they’ve declared over staffing levels in the past few weeks, you’re already there.

So, well. Clapping in 2020 or not, matters not one bit. Support the nurses. Or get your life ready in order, for the absence of an NHS altogether in the medium term.

That’s your and everyone else’s choice in the UK, to the extent that you all intend to continue relying on a functional healthcare service free at the point of delivery.

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But doesn't it depend on their circumstances. If they live in London, their rent will be sky high. If they have toddlers, childcare is extortionate. 

If they are in London they get an extra London weighting anyway. 

My point still stands. If this thread was about barristers on the same wages going on strike there would be absolutely no sympathy on this thread, because the media hasnt conditioned people to do so. "Boo hoo the poor nurses lets clap for them" etc etc.

56 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Sorry if you think I am being snidy ,But I am always on the side off people who need more to make ends meet , and millions do Are they all lying , Just a yes or a no will do, Not a politician’s answer please, Can you give true answers,

if you give the kids more pocket money, you have less to spend on food.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

That’s as may be.

But whether 14%, or even 1%, of nurses -or ‘lesser’ healthcare employees- are on the breadline and use food banks, hardly rates as a bone of contention in the grander scheme of things: pay levels of NHS employees have been suppressed for years and longer, still are, and that’s driving attrition in staffing levels to unprecedented levels now that similarly-unprecedented (well, in recent years) levels of inflation are biting in.

So the nurses now strike. They may get something, they may not. Unless it’s something, and substantial, attrition will continue, to the point wherein the NHS eventually cannot continue to deliver its healthcare safely or effectively.

In some Trusts, going by the increasing frequency of “serious incidents” they’ve declared over staffing levels in the past few weeks, you’re already there.

So, well. Clapping in 2020 or not, matters not one bit. Support the nurses. Or get your life ready in order, for the absence of an NHS altogether in the medium term.

That’s your and everyone else’s choice in the UK, to the extent that you all intend to continue relying on a functional healthcare service free at the point of delivery.

Interesting how those in charge are so keen to introduce the market into the NHS but seem to assume that market forces won't apply to the workforce who could earn the same or more in easier jobs elsewhere. In a theoretical sense, I'd be happy for them to crash healthcare and then watch them try to work out how to get healthy people with the right skills into the jobs they want filling to make 'their' money for them, but obviously it would be awful for everyone else as well.

If I was ill with something acute which could be shortened by a trip to the GP, it would be a lottery as to whether I could actually get an appointment. There's a ten minute window when everyone who needs to see the GP has to phone up and the lucky few get an appointment - everyone else has to try again the next day. Great for productivity, eh? At least I get occupational sick pay.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Those were great days. I miss the Thursday 8pm ritual. I think it should be brought back.

Confession.....My guilty pleasure was to drive around Brinsworth at that time, when I heard a clap I'd crank up the stereo and play sheep and seal sounds from a pre prepared memory stick.

Now that was fun...

I doubt that would even raise an eyebrow in Brinsworth😁

25 minutes ago, Delbow said:

If I was ill with something acute which could be shortened by a trip to the GP, it would be a lottery as to whether I could actually get an appointment. There's a ten minute window when everyone who needs to see the GP has to phone up and the lucky few get an appointment - everyone else has to try again the next day.

You should change the surgery and go to another if that is really what is happening at yours as I have had a totally different experience at mine.

1 minute ago, Dromedary said:

You should change the surgery and go to another if that is really what is happening at yours as I have had a totally different experience at mine.

I suspect you live somewhere a lot more affluent than me, where the general level of health is a lot better and the pressure on health services therefore less. The health inequalities in Sheffield are very stark - but I can't afford to up sticks to S10 or wherever, and nor can most

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Now that was fun...

Don't know what's worse...the fact you actually did that .... or.... that you've admitted to it as though it's something to be proud of...