Should Nurse's Strike?

There are some who believe that certain professions should not have the right to 'strike' , as to do so would be leaving vulnerable members of society (the sick in this case), in danger of not reaching medical aid in time to preserve life.  The police cannot strike and neither can the armed services.

I'm no problem with the nurses getting a pay rise. Although I'd rather see more nurses than the existing shortage but with more money in their pockets.

What I do have a problem with is the media spinning the situation claiming that nurses are stealing patients food because they can't afford a £4 sandwich from the canteen.

Have people not heard of bringing in packing up?

So much needs sorting out, it's not all about pay, but general dissatisfaction.

I'd start at the bottom with the Social care staff who do a difficult job for not much money. They're very much second class citizens in the pay hierarchy, but do most of the hard graft. They need to be brought back into the NHS on the same footing as nurses. They may not have a degree etc, but they are essential to the care of patients and just as skilled in their own field.  

14 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

There are some who believe that certain professions should not have the right to 'strike' , as to do so would be leaving vulnerable members of society (the sick in this case), in danger of not reaching medical aid in time to preserve life.  The police cannot strike and neither can the armed services.

There are a LOT who believe the complete opposite too.

The nurses and carers are the ones who do most to look after these vulnerable members of society who you care about so much.

The nurses are nothing like the coppers or the army and it isn't just about the nurses anyway.

The care assistants and other staff are also doing a fantastic job for a disgusting wage and have been taken advantage of for years.

EVERYBODY should have the right to withdraw their labour if negotiation fails and if the country suffers, then that is the fault of the government who are trying to save a few bob when they have squandered billions. 

They manage to look after all their rich friends without any trouble.

41 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

There are a LOT who believe the complete opposite too.

The nurses and carers are the ones who do most to look after these vulnerable members of society who you care about so much.

The nurses are nothing like the coppers or the army and it isn't just about the nurses anyway.

The care assistants and other staff are also doing a fantastic job for a disgusting wage and have been taken advantage of for years.

EVERYBODY should have the right to withdraw their labour if negotiation fails and if the country suffers, then that is the fault of the government who are trying to save a few bob when they have squandered billions. 

They manage to look after all their rich friends without any trouble.

Any idea how much nurses are paid ?

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

So much needs sorting out, it's not all about pay, but general dissatisfaction.

I agree, ambulance staff have now voted to strike. Can you imagine how it feels to have a patient on your ambulance, you have saved their life. That would be very uplifting.

Then you arrive at hospital and you are kept waiting for over an hour and your patient gets worse again or dies.

4 hours ago, alchresearch said:

What I do have a problem with is the media spinning the situation claiming that nurses are stealing patients food because they can't afford a £4 sandwich from the canteen.

It's just media hype, the patient probably didn't want the food.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe a qualified nurse starts on about £27,000. 

I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong. 

I was being a bit provocative by asking this as I regularly hear people saying strikers should get more pay without knowing what their current salaries are.

Throwing more money at a system which is not performing in the way we want it to is not the only way to tackle the problem.

12 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I was being a bit provocative by asking this as I regularly hear people saying strikers should get more pay without knowing what their current salaries are.

Throwing more money at a system which is not performing in the way we want it to is not the only way to tackle the problem.

Maybe not.

But throwing more money at individuals who do valuable work, is the correct thing to do in the current economic circumstances.

You might want to check the dictionary definition of “provocative “, by the way. You appear to have mixed it up with “clueless”.