Should Nurse's Strike?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

I was listening to a radio four program about how the UK is signed up to an agreement not to poach doctors from poor countries, but we still do. We are desperate.

What about the EU, as that was your first point?

Is it OK to poach doctors from EU countries?

8 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

What about the EU, as that was your first point?

Is it OK to poach doctors from EU countries?

Yes that is ok, although with similar countries to ourselves, doctors and nurses will move countries for their own reasons. That is ok for any country, but we signed an agreement not to actively recruit from certain countries 

10 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Why would a well trained doctor from the EU want to come to the UK? - I mean even before brexit. 

African doctors, wow, that's got an element of we're better than anyone type post. Surprised to see you write that nonsense. 

How about looking at India. Soon to be the most populated country in the world and has excellent medical schools. Though, I still don't like this idea of removing highly skilled people from poorer countries.

Well, you have a real problem.

If you don't want to take doctors from poorer countries and you also don't want to pay our doctors a salary that would keep them here,  you are going to finish up with no doctors at all as they carry on leaving.

The same applies for nurses too.

Hope you don't expect medical treatment for you and your family as you get older.

22 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Well, you have a real problem.

If you don't want to take doctors from poorer countries and you also don't want to pay our doctors a salary that would keep them here,  you are going to finish up with no doctors at all as they carry on leaving.

The same applies for nurses too.

Hope you don't expect medical treatment for you and your family as you get older.

One of the reasons doctors and nurses are leaving the NHS is to work for agencies in this country.

If the NHS stopped employing agency staff  they would increase the directly employed workers and stop people leaving.

It would also save money.

Edited by harvey19

12 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

One of the reasons doctors and nurses are leaving the NHS is to work for agencies in this country.

If the NHS stopped employing agency staff  they would increase the directly employed workers and stop people leaving.

they don't appear to understand that the problems with the nhs, are within the nhs

30 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

If they're paying a better wage, who wouldn't?

...but then, since anyone who's good at the job can literally get a job anywhere in the world, you're left with only those that have some form of tie to the UK, or who's skills may be lacking.

It could also mean you get those with the least ability at the job.

On 22/12/2022 at 15:07, harvey19 said:

I have pondered this question about equal % pay rises for all employees.

if we refer to Maslows Heirarchy of human needs once basic needs have been satisfied the higher needs become the driving forces, ego, self actualisation.

if we agree that higher skills and responsibilities deserve rewarding we grade and pay staff accordingly.

Now we reach the point where ego and self actualisation take priority therefore do the highly paid staff need a % increase which is much greater in cash terms than the lower paid who are still trying to fulfil the basic needs.

The answer is the lower paid need a larger % increase than the highly paid.

I fully agree, although I have no idea at all who Maslow is. Just never heard of the guy.

As a life long believer in fairness for all, statements like this sit well with me.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I fully agree, although I have no idea at all who Maslow is. Just never heard of the guy.

As a life long believer in fairness for all, statements like this sit well with me.

Maalow,  that is the heorachie of needs 

So your needs are met, ie, shelter, food 

Once level one needs are met you go on to less important needs, sky subscriptions a car etc...