Why Are Women Becoming More Aggressive Drivers ?

Not that many years ago almost all the bad* driving was men. It was exceptionally rare to see a woman, say, doing  a dangerous overtake or speeding way over the limit.

Don't get me wrong, men still constitute the great majority of bad driving, but it is no longer that rare for women to be up there as well. When on the A616 M1 to Tankersley roundabout I remember a Volvo appearing in my rear view mirror from no where, then driving up my ****, then overtaking me on a single carriageway road as we were approaching a roundabout (with multiple lanes so the car could have got past me anyway ! ). I was stunned to see it was a female driver.  

Anyone any ideas why ?

* I am defining bad driving as dangerous driving, driving that potentially puts other people in danger of serious injury or death. Poor parking, or whatever, isn't going to kill anyone.

Edited by Chekhov

Guest ThaBoom
20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Not that many years ago almost all the bad* driving was men. It was exceptionally rare to see a woman, say, doing  a dangerous overtake or speeding way over the limit.

Don't get me wrong, men still constitute the great majority of bad driving, but it is no longer that rare for women to be up there as well. When on the A616 M1 to Tankersley roundabout I remember a Volvo appearing in my rear view mirror from no where, then driving up my ****, then overtaking me on a single carriageway road as we were approaching a roundabout (with multiple lanes so the car could have got past me anyway ! ). I was stunned to see it was a female driver.  

Anyone any ideas why ?

* I am defining bad driving as dangerous driving, driving that potentially puts other people in danger of serious injury or death. Poor parking, or whatever, isn't going to kill anyone.

Probably like most things today, some women think if some men can do it, why can't we.

I've seen a few myself recently and must admit, I did think "that wasn't the case before".

I'm talking about faster driving even in 30mph or residential/ school roads, driving fast around corners, tailgating (which I love cos I brake suddenly and put 1 finger up to driver).

I’m spotting a pattern here. I’m in the process of turning it into a pie chart.

Checkers drives around and loads of people overtake him, wherever he’s pootling along.

Nobody gets hurt, but he perceives the other driver to be driving badly.

Maybe check your mirror, Checkers.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

I’m spotting a pattern here. I’m in the process of turning it into a pie chart.

Checkers drives around and loads of people overtake him, wherever he’s pootling along.

Nobody gets hurt, but he perceives the other driver to be driving badly.

Maybe check your mirror, Checkers.

Troll finder :
"to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content"

Antagonistic ?  Yes
Inflammatory ?  Yes I think so
Irrelevant ?   Yes
Offensive ?   Not really
Disruptive ?  Yes

(I could add inaccurate as well, but let's stick to Google's preferred definition)

4 out of 5

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

You are basing this on one interaction with one female driver?

Think we need to see a graph.

It isn't with one driver, that was just the last really bad one I remember.

There's  a definite change going on, have you not spotted it ?

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Anyone any ideas why ?

Good morning, Chekhov.

Define bad / Dangerous driving?

T'other day, van in front of me (male driver) (3 lanes at a roundabout) we're in the second (1st and second to go straight on) Van (somehow) finds a gap in the moving traffic to change lanes into the first lane and straight into the road of an industrial estate.

If the driver hadn't been on the ball the van cut Infront of, there would have been a serious accident, definition Dangerous ✔️.

Spirited driving (I like this term 😏) most of the time people simply do not read the road

Are Women more aggressive? and if they are, (I say 'If') I'd say no more than any other 'aware' driver.

Bad Driving. Different kettle of fish.

Way too many instances of 'Bad Driving' daily. to the point where most people (myself included) wouldn't think of going out without a dash cam.

Are women more aggressive? or just more noticeable? begs the question why should we even perceive them to be more noticeable?

Male jealousy? Male 'hurt pride' (because the road is our domain?) and some woman enjoying her motoring just as much as you is something that shouldn't be allowed :huh:

Come on Guys - get a grip.

Good luck to the spirited lady drivers out there & if you drive an Audi top mark for choosing one of the better (driving) cars out there :hihi:.

Keep safe and aware 8).

13 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Good morning, Chekhov.

Define bad / Dangerous driving?

T'other day, van in front of me (male driver) (3 lanes at a roundabout) we're in the second (1st and second to go straight on) Van (somehow) finds a gap in the moving traffic to change lanes into the first lane and straight into the road of an industrial estate.

If the driver hadn't been on the ball the van cut Infront of, there would have been a serious accident, definition Dangerous ✔️.

Spirited driving (I like this term 😏) most of the time people simply do not read the road

Are Women more aggressive? and if they are, (I say 'If') I'd say no more than any other 'aware' driver.

Bad Driving. Different kettle of fish.

Way too many instances of 'Bad Driving' daily. to the point where most people (myself included) wouldn't think of going out without a dash cam.

Are women more aggressive? or just more noticeable? begs the question why should we even perceive them to be more noticeable?

Male jealousy? Male 'hurt pride' (because the road is our domain?) and some woman enjoying her motoring just as much as you is something that shouldn't be allowed :huh:

Come on Guys - get a grip.

Good luck to the spirited lady drivers out there & if you drive an Audi top mark for choosing one of the better (driving) cars out there :hihi:.

Keep safe and aware 8).

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "spirited driving".

There are a set of objective laws when it comes to driving and most people would say if those are being broken that is bad driving.

More subjective is, say, an over take when very little is to being gained (e.g. overtaking someone doing 50mph on Woodhead, it's pointless as you'll just join the back of the next Q  just up the road) or in a place which, whilst not objectively illegal, is "risky". If you think that's "spirited driving" - putting others at increased risk for very little benefit other than wanting to drive faster for its own sake - then I would say "spirited driving" is a bad thing and I certainly would not say "good luck to the spirited lady drivers out there". Quite the opposite, I'd say why do you want to take on the worst aspects of male driving ?

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not really, no. 

If I see any really bad driving I always take an interest in the driver as my sense of curiosity wants to know what kind of person drives like that ? And I can tell you for certain it hardly ever used to be a woman, but these days it is more and more likely to be.

Edited by Chekhov

38 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Troll finder :
"to antagonize (others) online by deliberately posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content"

Antagonistic ?  Yes
Inflammatory ?  Yes I think so
Irrelevant ?   Yes
Offensive ?   Not really
Disruptive ?  Yes

(I could add inaccurate as well, but let's stick to Google's preferred definition)

4 out of 5

Still failing to use your mirror, I see.

I wonder what could be the common factor uniting all the many and varied people and things that interact with Chekhov in some way and irritate him so much?