Why Are Women Becoming More Aggressive Drivers ?

On 20/01/2023 at 14:49, Chekhov said:

(…)

Just out of interest, what exactly constitutes "a driver obstructs an emergency vehicle on roadways".

Many seem to profess a belief they would not break any rules of the road to do so because, apparently, they then lay themselves open to prosecution, e.g. going through the tram gate or driving in a bus lane.

‘Impeding their progress’, in a nutshell.

E.g. blocking a junction/exit/ramp; or -local ‘special’- you’re not away from the middle of the road (/enough) wherein they have to slow down to a crawl for passing you safely, rather than power on through towards the accident at 60+.

No dash cams allowed here (they’re illegal), so prosecution is discretionary and their word against yours…and any driver’s word counts for beans here, needless to say.

Put it that way: if they have to slow down (solely-) because of your car’s position on the road, enough that they can take down your reg, then you were ‘obstructing’ 😉

17 hours ago, fools said:

should be obvious, you've posted a circular conundrum

do you think it's comforting to know that the car behind is more interested in what's behind them, than what's in front

Now where did I say that.

Having driven around 25000 miles pa. for 30 years or more I learned the importance of being aware of how quickly cars and bikes appeared out of nowhere when doing 70 mph plus.

Combine this with those who switch lanes without due warning and a near miss is the best outcome.

Edited by RJRB

55 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Having driven around 25000 miles pa. for 30 years or more I learned the importance of being aware of how quickly cars and bikes appeared out of nowhere when doing 70 mph plus.

Combine this with those who switch lanes without due warning and a near miss is the best outcome.

A passing remark on that, after this weekend: one can tell, how not many on here seem to have driven on unrestricted sections of German motorways.

Because believe you me, when overtaking cars are passing at a rate of knots approaching the sound barrier (220-250 kph…), they very much exhibit that criteria of ‘appearing out of nowhere’, even for reasonably observant drivers 😆

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

So do emergency vehicles and the police  - presumably "from nowhere".

Not really because they are big and painted yellow, have flashing blue lights on top, and, most significantly, have a very loud siren.

Just out of interest, with your keen appreciation of the importance of detecting the presence of an emergency vehicle (even if it's behind you), bearing in mind that loud music in car limits ones ability to hear said siren (as well as encouraging faster driving), do you think loud music in cars should be banned ?

18 hours ago, fools said:

should be obvious, you've posted a circular conundrum

do you think it's comforting to know that the car behind is more interested in what's behind them, than what's in front

Well I for one want the car behind me to be pretty much 100% concentrating on what is in front of them, i.e. me (unless they're changing lanes, or turning off).

Edited by Chekhov

56 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Well I for one want the car behind me to be pretty much 100% concentrating on what is in front of them, i.e. me (unless they're changing lanes, or turning off).

OK.

For the sake of the habitual contrarians I will be more explicit.

The point that I was trying to make is that Motorway driving requires much more attention to what is approaching from behind than some might consider normal.

I did comment that being aware of what was in front mattered and in particular maintaining an appropriate braking distance.

Failure to do this is commonplace ,as is changing lanes with a simultaneous signal,or no signal at all.

So if you don’t want to be shunted from the rear or cause problems for other drivers,be very aware that close contact with other vehicles is most likely to come from cars travelling faster than you.

Stating the blindingly obvious the forward view is constantly required but flicking your eyes towards your rear view and side mirrors does not compromise this but it does make you aware of your surroundings.

”Sorry,didn’t see you mate” doesn’t help when you have just caused an overtaking vehicle to swerve to avoid you.

And Chekhov you missed the most important use of your side and rear window....joining the motorway

Edited by RJRB

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Assuming that they are driving in the appropriate lane and at least the braking distance from the vehicles in front(and an awful lot don’t),then all the threat is from the rear from the moment that you join off the slipway

Perhaps you missed the increased prevalence of speed cameras in that 30 years.

"All the threat is from the rear" is a nonsensical position unless you are stationary. You should be checking what's behind you before changing lanes, the chances of being rear ended whilst driving in lane at 70mph are minimal

Edited by fools