Why Are Women Becoming More Aggressive Drivers ?

31 minutes ago, RJRB said:

OK.

For the sake of the habitual contrarians I will be more explicit.

The point that I was trying to make is that Motorway driving requires much more attention to what is approaching from behind than some might consider normal.

I did comment that being aware of what was in front mattered and in particular maintaining an appropriate braking distance.

Failure to do this is commonplace ,as is changing lanes with a simultaneous signal,or no signal at all.

So if you don’t want to be shunted from the rear or cause problems for other drivers,be very aware that close contact with other vehicles is most likely to come from cars travelling faster than you.

Stating the blindingly obvious the forward view is constantly required but flicking your eyes towards your rear view and side mirrors does not compromise this but it does make you aware of your surroundings.

”Sorry,didn’t see you mate” doesn’t help when you have just caused an overtaking vehicle to swerve to avoid you.

And Chekhov you missed the most important use of your side and rear window....joining the motorway

>>The point that I was trying to make is that Motorway driving requires much more attention to what is approaching from behind than some might consider normal.<<

Unless changing lanes, or being forced to drive slowly by traffic banked up (and the traffic behind not having slowed down yet) I would dispute that. But, in the case of the latter issue there is probably not much one can do about it (other than putting ones hazards on) even if one does see a car bearing down on you, them having not noticed.....

>>And Chekhov you missed the most important use of your side and rear window....joining the motorway<<

I specifically have mentioned that, it comes under changing lanes or turning off.

14 minutes ago, fools said:

Perhaps you missed the increased prevalence of speed cameras in that 30 years.

"All the threat is from the rear" is a nonsensical position unless you are stationary. You should be checking what's behind you before changing lanes, the chances of being rear ended whilst driving in lane at 70mph are minimal

What could you do about it anyway ? Esp on a busy motorway, changing lanes quickly in a panic would be dangerous in itself.

Edited by Chekhov

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What could you do about it anyway ? Esp on a busy motorway, changing lanes quickly in a panic would be dangerous in itself.

This is a very good reason for knowing what is going on behind you, at all times.

27 minutes ago, fools said:

Perhaps you missed the increased prevalence of speed cameras in that 30 years.

"All the threat is from the rear" is a nonsensical position unless you are stationary. You should be checking what's behind you before changing lanes, the chances of being rear ended whilst driving in lane at 70mph are minimal

And perhaps I didn’t having been on the road for 4 days a week in an area that extended from Leicester to Aberdeen.

A little more context and explanation as regards motorway driving.

You know what’s in front of view and you should leave sufficient room for braking.

Many don’t and that is why you get a series of accidents due to one idiot 

It surprises many how quickly traffic compacts in a tailback,

What frequently causes this tailback is a driver pulling out with little or no warning because they were oblivious or misjudged the cars which they should have seen if they had been checking their rear view mirrors.

There is every chance of being rear ended at 70 mph It happens every day because of idiot drivers,so if you are on the motorway it’s advisable to drive somewhat defensively 

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>g off.

As above

Drive defensively and be aware of what is going on around you.

If possible I would prefer a space to move into if I had to slow down and a vehicle was coming from behind at speed.

Hazard warning lights would not give me much comfort.

3 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You know what’s in front of view and you should leave sufficient room for braking.

What frequently causes this tailback is a driver pulling out with little or no warning because they were oblivious or misjudged the cars which they should have seen if they had been checking their rear view mirrors.

Someone pulling out in front of you because you are in their blindspot is the number one danger, a good driver would be anticipating other drivers actions before they happen, not worrying about what someone half a mile back is doing.

11 minutes ago, fools said:

Someone pulling out in front of you because you are in their blindspot is the number one danger, a good driver would be anticipating other drivers actions before they happen, not worrying about what someone half a mile back is doing.

To summarise.

A good driver knows what is going on around them front,back and either side and is aware of blind spots.

The problem is that virtually everyone thinks that they are good drivers ,but in reality there are a lot of crap drivers,and even good ones make mistakes.

Discuss

I neglected to say that cars travelling at 60/70 mph don’t suddenly arrive in your blind spot.

The perfect reason to know what is approaching some distance away.

Who said half a mile.

Certainly not me but a few car lengths would be advisable

Edited by RJRB

36 minutes ago, RJRB said:

And perhaps I didn’t having been on the road for 4 days a week in an area that extended from Leicester to Aberdeen.

A little more context and explanation as regards motorway driving.

There is every chance of being rear ended at 70 mph It happens every day because of idiot drivers,so if you are on the motorway it’s advisable to drive somewhat defensively 

As above

Drive defensively and be aware of what is going on around you.

If possible I would prefer a space to move into if I had to slow down and a vehicle was coming from behind at speed.

Hazard warning lights would not give me much comfort.

I think there are two golden rules to motorway driving :

1 - Keep your distance

2 - NEVER change lanes quickly. ALWAYS do it slowly whilst indicating all the time, thus giving other drivers, who might not be paying as much attention as they should, time to take evasive action. More than once I have seen cars from the outside lane and inside lane both change lanes into the middle lane at precisely the same moment. If they both do "snap" lane changes an accident is almost certain.

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I think there are two golden rules to motorway driving :

1 - Keep your distance

2 - NEVER change lanes quickly. ALWAYS do it slowly whilst indicating all the time, thus giving other drivers, who might not be paying as much attention as they should, time to take evasive action. More than once I have seen cars from the outside lane and inside lane both change lanes into the middle lane at precisely the same moment. If they both do "snap" lane changes an accident is almost certain.

We agree on the basics

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

We agree on the basics

Indeed.

However, I’d like to add that, when you change lane, you shouldn’t be causing other drivers to take evasive action.