Why Are Women Becoming More Aggressive Drivers ?

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I'm not sure I've seen the post that refers to so I'll not comment on that specifically however its easy to be caught out by a driver shooting out of a junction, suddenly doing a daft overtake or just pulling into the road from the kerb without indicating. 

All those things have happened to me and the first thing I say is 'he/she came out of nowhere'.

Actually that's probably the 11th thing I say following a profanity laced rant 🤪

Post is here.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/480778-why-are-women-becoming-more-aggressive-drivers/?tab=comments#comment-8590166

"When on the A616 M1 to Tankersley roundabout I remember a Volvo appearing in my rear view mirror from no where,"

Pretty hard for a volvo to appear from nowhere on that road - and the road to the Tankersley roundabout is A61. The A616 is the Stocksbridge bypass.

I'll go with "driving without due care and attention",

20 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Yet more trolling BS.

If I was doing 55mph and she was doing 60mph that's a 5mph closing speed and at 5mph she would have taken 6 minutes to do half a mile. 

Your Speedo is likely to be 5-7mph wrong. So the chances are that what you thought was 55mph, was actually 48 mph.

That makes the closing speed 12mph. Which is 25% of your actual speed.

Which is why you need to check your mirror often.

9 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Post is here.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/480778-why-are-women-becoming-more-aggressive-drivers/?tab=comments#comment-8590166

"When on the A616 M1 to Tankersley roundabout I remember a Volvo appearing in my rear view mirror from no where,"

Pretty hard for a volvo to appear from nowhere on that road - and the road to the Tankersley roundabout is A61. The A616 is the Stocksbridge bypass.

Thanks for the link. Very helpful 👍

I'd be happier with a bit more information. @Chekhov can you pin the location to Google maps and post a link please? 

Also how busy were the roads? Reason I ask is I've been close to being hit by a pillock who overtook a car behind me, almost hit my car then pulled out again went round me then off into the distance. Seemed like he came from nowhere and a definite sphincter clenching moment I won't forget in a hurry. 

25 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

He is trolling TD.

But in any case his knowledge of risk probability is sadly deficient :

My question and advice to Sibon :

Incidentally, why is your risk aversion focussed so intensely on stuff which really isn't that risky at all (like taking pictures at school functions or swimming galas) and yet so poorly focussed on stuff that's genuinely risky and kills or seriously injures many many thousands, like driving 

UK road deaths 2022: 1760.

UK Covid deaths 2020: 7376

Simple, straightforward statistics.

You could use them to calculate your risk from :

a) A speeding Audi.

b) A covid infection.

Additional, bonus info: 25% of Road deaths are caused by speeding. Or, to put it another way, 75% are not.

1 minute ago, sibon said:

UK Covid deaths 2020: 7376

Simple, straightforward statistics.

You could use them to calculate your risk from :

a) A speeding Audi.

b) A covid infection.

Additional, bonus info: 25% of Road deaths are caused by speeding. Or, to put it another way, 75% are not.

Oooh, I'll field that...

A) Extreme 

B) Very little unless you are very ill from something else.

How did I do?

16 hours ago, redruby said:

I remember years ago being aware of someone on the inside lane precisely in my blind spot and staying there. He flashed his headlights when we slowed down for traffic lights and informed me I had a rear light out. On checking thoroughly, I found all the lights were fine. He looked like a right nasty old git and I had a feeling he wasn’t doing that out of the goodness of his heart. Or maybe that’s unfair.
Anyway, if you don’t check blind spots someone might appear to have ‘come out of nowhere’

We were talking about using ones rear view mirror, and if someone hits you from behind it is their fault, their responsibility, end of.

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Thanks for the link. Very helpful 👍

I'd be happier with a bit more information. @Chekhov can you pin the location to Google maps and post a link please? 

Also how busy were the roads? Reason I ask is I've been close to being hit by a pillock who overtook a car behind me, almost hit my car then pulled out again went round me then off into the distance. Seemed like he came from nowhere and a definite sphincter clenching moment I won't forget in a hurry. 

It was between the M1 junction and Tankersley roundabout.

Edited by Chekhov

16 hours ago, Longcol said:

Post is here.

Someone else who does not know the meaning of driving without due care and attention.

I am 100% certain that, even if I never used my rear view mirror, except when reversing and/or possibly changing lanes, I would not get done for driving without due care and attention. 

And again, is someone hits you from behind that is their fault, end of. As a driver pretty much all ones attention should be on what is happening in front of you, with a bit for what is happening to the side of you if changing lanes or turning off. What is happening behind you is of limited concern and significant amounts of attention focussed on that means it is not being focussed where it should be.

16 hours ago, sibon said:

25% of Road deaths are caused by speeding. Or, to put it another way, 75% are not.

That depends on how you define speeding.

On a broad level speeding is excessive speed for the conditions, and if there is an accident then it must, by definition, one way or another, have been excessive speed for the conditions.

More specifically, take an example of a car pulling out on another car. If the car being pulled out on was speeding that probably would not go down on the speeding stats, it would go down as a car pulling out on another car or insufficient observation or whatever. But if that car had not been speeding it is more likely, possibly far more likely, that either the car pulling out would have got out OK without an accident and/or the car on the main road would have had time to brake.

16 hours ago, sibon said:

UK Covid deaths 2020: 73766

1 - Even at the height of the pandemic, statistically, people under 45 (certainly healthy people under 45) were more at risk of death in a car accident than from Covid.

2 - Is that figure of 73,766 from Covid or with Covid ? And how many should we deduct from that for people who have died (and will continue to die) as a result of the suppression policy ? e.g. 50,000 cancer patients ?

3 - There is no proof exactly how many people's lives were saved by the draconian suppression policy (particularly nett of its collateral damage.....).

4 - Over the course of the pandemic the great majority of people would have been at more risk in a car accident than from Covid

5 - You have missed the point anyway. It's about personal choice :

Worry about the stuff most likely to kill them. Particularly if :

1 - They can actually do anything about it.

2 - It doesn't negatively affect their life to any significant degree.

As regards Covid I was unconvinced how much of number 1 could be achieved, and number 2 meant number 1 was definitely not worth it to me anyway.

The problem, of course, is I was given no choice in the matter, possibly for the first time in the history of this country (certainly for a virus).

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Someone else who does not know the meaning of driving without due care and attention.

I am 100% certain that, even if I never used my rear view mirror, except when reversing and/or possibly changing lanes, I would not get done for driving without due care and attention. 

And again, is someone hits you from behind that is their fault, end of. As a driver pretty much all ones attention should be on what is happening in front of you, with a bit for what is happening to the side of you if changing lanes or turning off. What is happening behind you is of limited concern and significant amounts of attention focussed on that means it is not being focussed where it should be.

I’m not sure whether this is a serious post, or not.

Please tell me that you are joking.

Or that you don’t have a drivers license.