2 Tory Councils On Brink Of Bankruptcy

6 minutes ago, Delbow said:

No mention of a 60% cut which you claimed.  Those figures in that document are at best biased figures calculated by a biased Labour controlled council.  Have you any evidence to back up your 50-60% cuts in government funding since 2010 claim from an independent non biased source?

3 minutes ago, Axe said:

No mention of a 60% cut which you claimed.  Those figures in that document are at best biased figures calculated by a biased Labour controlled council.  Have you any evidence to back up your 50-60% cuts in government funding since 2010 claim from an independent non biased source?

Just been discussed on Politics live, the ticker across the bottom stated that on average, council budgets have dropped by 50% over the last 10 years.*

* - I have not fact checked this claim.

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

Slough, Croydon (both Labour) and Northamptonshire (Tory) already bankrupt. West Sussex and Somerset (both Tory) been teetering on the brink for years, as has Sheffield. Now two more are on the verge of declaring bankruptcy - Kent and Hampshire

Clearly this isn't about one political party being more or less competent with local government finances than any other, it's about a shocking withdrawal of funding by central government putting essential services such as schools, waste collection and social care at risk while wasting money on projects like HS2 and Test and Trace. 

Already, millions are not receiving the social care support they need and are statutorily entitled to, which has a direct negative effect on the NHS (also on the brink) because they often need social care packages in place to discharge people.

The UK has gone from a functioning society to a failing state in 12 years.

Hmmm... :huh:

I agree!

It's clearly about less competent PEOPLE who can't hack it in the private sector...

... but who are given positions in the public sector that they're obviously not up to performing successfully! :roll:

14 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I agree!

It's clearly about less competent PEOPLE who can't hack it in the private sector...

... but who are given positions in the public sector that they're obviously not up to performing successfully! :roll:

Maybe they're all ex-Carillion staff.

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

Which source will you accept? Please specify. Not that it's particularly necessary to pin down the percentage - it varies between authorities (due to funding formula that benefits more affluent areas on average), I think Liverpool calculated their cut was 60%. But whether it's 40% or 60%, that's clearly the issue that councils are grappling with, not being wasteful. 

8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Which source will you accept? Please specify. Not that it's particularly necessary to pin down the percentage - it varies between authorities (due to funding formula that benefits more affluent areas on average), I think Liverpool calculated their cut was 60%. But whether it's 40% or 60%, that's clearly the issue that councils are grappling with, not being wasteful. 

I refer you to post number #12

32 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Just been discussed on Politics live, the ticker across the bottom stated that on average, council budgets have dropped by 50% over the last 10 years.*

* - I have not fact checked this claim.

Any such claim needs to be supported by mathematical workings and analysed in order to achieve credibility.

4 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

With the rise of working from home and better Internet connectivity, is HS2 still looking like a worthwhile investment? 
Does anyone really need to get to London super quick if everything can be done online?

Hs2 is more than just fast trains to London.

It frees up the existing line so more slower, regional commuter trains can run.

Does anyone still doubt that we are a country in serious decline?

Those at the top live in a bubble of splendour and are completely out of touch with what is happening in the real world. They still have delusions of grandeur and think we are a force to be reckoned with, but l beg to differ. We are becoming a laughing g stock and a banana republic.

This is a result of 40 years of free market economics in which winner takes all. The majority of people in this country are not among the winners any more. Any attempt at 'levelling up' has been nothing but empty Tory promises, meanwhile they have systematically reduced the support and services that people need and pay their taxes for.

The Tories bring a whole new meaning to the words 'shortsighted incompetence.' Unfortunately we have fallen so far it's probably unlikely we will ever be able to climb back up.

35 minutes ago, Axe said:

I refer you to post number #12

Any such claim needs to be supported by mathematical workings and analysed in order to achieve credibility.

My question was which sources you consider to be unbiased and independent.

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

I agree!

That old 'public sector bad, private sector good' chestnut. Sigh. Start a new thread for that one! 

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

Slough, Croydon (both Labour) and Northamptonshire (Tory) already bankrupt. West Sussex and Somerset (both Tory) been teetering on the brink for years, as has Sheffield. Now two more are on the verge of declaring bankruptcy - Kent and Hampshire

Clearly this isn't about one political party being more or less competent with local government finances than any other, it's about a shocking withdrawal of funding by central government putting essential services such as schools, waste collection and social care at risk while wasting money on projects like HS2 and Test and Trace. 

Already, millions are not receiving the social care support they need and are statutorily entitled to, which has a direct negative effect on the NHS (also on the brink) because they often need social care packages in place to discharge people.

The UK has gone from a functioning society to a failing state in 12 years.

The County Council Network is pushing for a reduction in statutory services that Council's are obliged to provide. I can see why but it's a slippery slope.