Bali Hi Will Call You ,

5 minutes ago, fools said:

them wood pellets generating electricity aren't very green

Probably because they have been dried! But, enough of the jokes....:hihi:

The wood pellets being burnt are replacing much dirtier fossil fuels.  

Average carbon Emissions / kg CO2(e) /MWh

Coal 1018

Natural Gas 437²

Drax Biomass 122, but there seem to be some controversy about that.

And just for comparison Wind, between 3-41

As only around 12% of the electricity in the UK is generated from Biomass I would say that as the Supertram runs on electricity it is certainly a much greener option than using other oil based forms of transport.

49.9% from fossil fuels and wood currently

you also have to factor in the extra weight of the vehicle, and the inefficiencies of converting coal etc to electricity.

and don't forget that wood comes from the other side of the world

a near empty tram running to and fro at this time of night is not at all green, unless we pretend it's all powered from the sun.

Edited by fools

2 hours ago, fools said:

a near empty tram running to and fro at this time of night is not at all green, unless we pretend it's all powered from the sun.

I didn't say it was.

Quote from my post #27

"Sheffield Supertram is much greener than using cars or other public transport."

Context is important as I was replying to your post about biomass wood pellets not being green. :)

21 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ah so you are one of the pensioner freeloaders! So you cant really moan tbh.

Ah, here we go again. So in that case were the government not freeloading off me when they took 50 years of National insurance off me for, amongst other things, a state pension, which I was  told when I left school would "Keep you comfortable in retirement"?         If OAPs had a reasonable state pension instead of the worst old age pension in the civilised world they wouldn't need buses because they could run a car or use taxis,

23 minutes ago, spilldig said:

I agree PRESLEY, but tell the one who went off thread rather than those who reply. I.E I don't go off thread myself but I will reply.

Only on Sheffield Forum was the part I found funny and also true.  How threads can go off topic at rocket speed.  Which is happening as I type.  :hihi:

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

:hihi: Brilliant :hihi:

No its funny, like the above response.

Transport contributes to around 25% of the world Carbon Dioxide levels so it's also important to mention that on a climate thread as well otherwise it's just the usual posts attempting to knock politicians.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-climate-change-cut-carbon-emissions-from-your-commute

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Good point, so best leave the number of buses as they are.

Not so sure as a great deal I see are running well below capacity so if anything the system need restructuring making major route busses and even trams less frequent especially during some of the day.