Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night .

On 15/11/2022 at 20:47, cuttsie said:

Old age should burn and rave at close of day .

Rage , rage against the dying of the light .  Dylan Thomas poem .

I have been giving this some thought of late, This is due to observing people i know of a similar age to me , people who I live among on our little estate consisting of older folks housing .

Not many of them are raging , most are sitting behind half drawn curtains watching TV  , some are drinking  more than is good for them . I know this because I see them on their daily walk to a local  corner shop where the bottle of Scotch or Vodka can be clearly seen  through the blue plastic carrier bag the  shop provides free of charge .

Apart from this my own experiences are telling me that things are changing in my World ,   For instance people are beginning to offer me their seat on a crowded tram or bus , People who I consider to be  not to different in age to me , I always politely decline and wonder why they have any way , In fact in my case I always stand up and ask a lady to take my seat on a crowded bus , again this seems to end up with a smile and  a polite refusal these days when at one time it was  accepted .

The kids are treating me different , , Do we  want shopping bringing in ,  Do I need the lawn cutting or hedge trimming and so .

This leads me to having a little turn sometimes , "I can cut my own bloody grass " or "We  are quite capable of doing our own shop " and so on .

I realise that they are now seeing me in a different light or way , that they think that age is a no , A date on a calendar, what they don't know is that I am not even considering age , that I will carry on as normal as possible for as long as possible even though deep inside I know that one day in the not to distant future I may be sat behind a half shut curtain supping Scotch and watching Emmerdale  bloody Farm with the rest of them .  

Until then I will read Dylan Thomas's poem and Rage rage against the dying of the light .

I'm quite looking forward to being the rude old woman, surprising everyone in the shop with bad language. I agree, older people should carry on being angry.

It is positive that your community is looking out for you and your neighbours. It's good to know that happens. 

5 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I'm quite looking forward to being the rude old woman, surprising everyone in the shop with bad language. I agree, older people should carry on being angry.

It is positive that your community is looking out for you and your neighbours. It's good to know that happens. 

Catherine Tates "Nan"

Adorable lady.

On 15/11/2022 at 16:47, cuttsie said:

Old age should burn and rave at close of day .

Rage , rage against the dying of the light .  Dylan Thomas poem .

I have been giving this some thought of late, This is due to observing people i know of a similar age to me , people who I live among on our little estate consisting of older folks housing .

Not many of them are raging , most are sitting behind half drawn curtains watching TV  , some are drinking  more than is good for them . I know this because I see them on their daily walk to a local  corner shop where the bottle of Scotch or Vodka can be clearly seen  through the blue plastic carrier bag the  shop provides free of charge .

Apart from this my own experiences are telling me that things are changing in my World ,   For instance people are beginning to offer me their seat on a crowded tram or bus , People who I consider to be  not to different in age to me , I always politely decline and wonder why they have any way , In fact in my case I always stand up and ask a lady to take my seat on a crowded bus , again this seems to end up with a smile and  a polite refusal these days when at one time it was  accepted .

The kids are treating me different , , Do we  want shopping bringing in ,  Do I need the lawn cutting or hedge trimming and so .

This leads me to having a little turn sometimes , "I can cut my own bloody grass " or "We  are quite capable of doing our own shop " and so on .

I realise that they are now seeing me in a different light or way , that they think that age is a no , A date on a calendar, what they don't know is that I am not even considering age , that I will carry on as normal as possible for as long as possible even though deep inside I know that one day in the not to distant future I may be sat behind a half shut curtain supping Scotch and watching Emmerdale  bloody Farm with the rest of them .  

Until then I will read Dylan Thomas's poem and Rage rage against the dying of the light .

Forget the old age pigeon hole, they want you to occupy (the old "know your place" welfare state human junk pile!)

You need a challenge in your life, something wake up every day, and look forward to.

Mum, (your neighbor Gordon's wife) bless her, was like that, on her last legs, but proud and determined to dress up and attend her granddaughters fancy wedding to a wealthy London family, in 6 month's time.

She shone bright and held court, and a couple of weeks later gave in to her poor health, and passed peacefullly.

Carry on regardless, onward and upward, keep on trucking an all that!

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S35_2o21 said:

Thank you

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

Forget the old age pigeon hole, they want you to occupy (the old "know your place" welfare state human junk pile!)

You need a challenge in your life, something wake up every day, and look forward to.

Mum, (your neighbor Gordon's wife) bless her, was like that, on her last legs, but proud and determined to dress up and attend her granddaughters fancy wedding to a wealthy London family, in 6 month's time.

She shone bright and held court, and a couple of weeks later gave in to her poor health, and passed peacefullly.

Carry on regardless, onward and upward, keep on trucking an all that!

Keep on what!,,,,,,,,,,, miss read that for a second  or two ,