Bird Flu And Egg Shortages.

The other day I went in Asda and the only eggs they had were packs of 6 over £2 and £3, their 10 packs had gone up 20p a box. Today a friend sent the video below, it is interesting to hear that he says ITV and BBC have edited the interview with him to leave out some of his main points. He says that while the supermarkets have increased the prices for consumers, they have not increased what they pay to the farmers. Sounds the same as when they paid farmers a very low price for the milk.

#fairprice #farmers #supermarket (tiktok.com)

• Like 1

We need a prices & Incomes board bringing back as we had in the 70's to stop companies profiteering.

Labour and Tories managed to agree on that at the time.

Too much party politics now although they all claim they are there to do their best for the country.

34 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps they have a contract with legally binding prices? Otherwise the egg producers could just charge Asda more. It's not always the supermarket at fault, we don't know.

It's certainly not the farmers at fault if they are losing money through Bird Flu.

If the supermarket is charging more for eggs using Bird Flu as an excuse and then keeping the extra money instead of upping the price they give the farmers,

then they are profiteering and that wouldn't be the first time.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

We need a prices & Incomes board bringing back as we had in the 70's to stop companies profiteering.

Labour and Tories managed to agree on that at the time.

Too much party politics now although they all claim they are there to do their best for the country.

Correct ✔️

Be your own regulator

We are being duped.

Prices are being artificially raised.

Everything we buy wasn't 'made yesterday', yet the minute they reach the shelf the 'normal' price we were paying has 50p (or more) added to it.

Don't fall for it.

At one time I wouldn't have shopped anywhere other than Morrisons.

Went yesterday paid over the odds for one item but stuck to what I'd gone for.

Some of their prices were, compared to other supermarkets, (Aldi / Lidl) for the same product (or very good alternatives) beyond silliness.

Shop wisely. 

Use one of the smaller trolleys.

But most of all,

Don't buy something that is obviously overpriced.

Let's get back to the consumer dictating the price not us being duped into believing we have no alternative.

Turn the tide.

Change the thinking,

make it, 'we are no longer prepared to play this game'.

When these big companies realise, they have shelves full of goods its customers aren't prepared to buy see who wins.

Keep safe

Big plate of bangers and mash, few carrots, lashings of onion gravy for me and all for little money.

Shop wisely 8) .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

The other day I went in Asda and the only eggs they had were packs of 6 over £2 and £3, their 10 packs had gone up 20p a box. Today a friend sent the video below, it is interesting to hear that he says ITV and BBC have edited the interview with him to leave out some of his main points. He says that while the supermarkets have increased the prices for consumers, they have not increased what they pay to the farmers.

Is it costing the farms that supply eggs more? How do they get products from the farms and to the shops? 

I also read that one supermarket was importing eggs from Italy as it was cheaper but some consumers don't like the idea because they don't have a Lion printed on them!:huh:

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Sounds the same as when they paid farmers a very low price for the milk.

And yet the farmers were quite happy to pour it down the drain instead when it suited them!

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

It's certainly not the farmers at fault if they are losing money through Bird Flu.

If the supermarket is charging more for eggs using Bird Flu as an excuse and then keeping the extra money instead of upping the price they give the farmers,

then they are profiteering and that wouldn't be the first time.

Just watch next year when the supermarkets reveal their profits, bet there are some record profits.

12 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Is it costing the farms that supply eggs more? How do they get products from the farms and to the shops? 

I also read that one supermarket was importing eggs from Italy as it was cheaper but some consumers don't like the idea because they don't have a Lion printed on them!:huh:

And yet the farmers were quite happy to pour it down the drain instead when it suited them!

In the video, he says it is costing farmers more because feed and power prices have risen.

Edited by iansheff