Mps Expenses Published Nov. 2022

https://order-order.com/tag/expenses/

Some are so petty I would have thought they could pay it themselves on their salaries

e.g.

• Barry Gardiner spent £1,155 on video editing

Chris Pincher spent £960 at Westminster Digital videos
Claudia Webbe managed to spend £115.37 on a phone case

• Pauline Latham topped the chart for taxi journies, spending £300 on a ride from London to Derbyshire on the day of a train strike
    David Davis expensed a £11.99 YouTube Premium subscription
    Douglas Chapman spent £5.25 on a “snack for a guest” in Portcullis House
    Grant Shapps spent £79.99 on Microsoft Office. Expensing his famous spreadsheet…
    Leo Docherty expensed £8.87 on a Ukrainian flag
    Luke Pollard purchased a £2,195 air-conditioning unit
    Matt Hancock expensed a £43.33 Times subscription, despite the fact MPs and staffers are all entitled to free subscriptions
    Tobias Ellwood used your tax money for a £7.99 Amazon Prime subscription
    Rayner stuck her three hundreds and odd quid gas bill on ex's too.
    Perhaps doing penance for appalling behaviour in his private life, Imran Ahmed Khan actually repaid £1,438 for a Macbook he’d purchased. Recession? What recession…
Edited by cressida

I don't think these are particularly great examples of any outrageous demands to be honest.

With the exception of maybe the phone case, most of these seem perfectly legitimate expenses which would be recovered by anyone else who has to work away for their jobs or has expenditure of running an office.

The taxi fares, whilst there high amount, are hardly outrageous. If the person needed to travel to London and there was a train strike, what else could they do.  Even if they had driven themselves, they will still be recouping a couple of £100s of mileage and/or insurance or car hire costs.  

Things like the Excel, video editing, subscription services, air conditioners, flags are all part of running their office or their accommodation..  There's been lots of debate before about whether there should be some sort of centralised service, but until that day happens, MPs are entitled to expense ruining their constituency offices through the system.

I know that MPs are always public enemy number one right now, but we are hardly talking about duck houses and strip clubs here. Any large organisation has similar expenses as the ones above. There is always vast amounts of travel costs and sustenance costs and accommodation cost.

MPs or not, why should they pay for business travel or their own office supplies out of their own pockets. Nobody else in an employee position would.

The moment I step out of my home city on business need, everything I touch from travel to food to accommodation to cabs to internet to stationery is all expensed back to my company.  Same as in organisations up and down the land.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 minutes ago, cressida said:

Rayner stuck her three hundreds and odd quid gas bill on ex's too.

For what though?  Is it for her office or her second home accommodation.  Like it or not, she might have been entitled to do so within the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I detest Rayner with all my passion. A look on some other threads will show that. However, on this particular issue, I cannot jump in and suggest what is so wrong.

Now if you're going to show me that it was for her own personal home and outside of the permitted rules, I may be in agreement with you.

23 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

For what though?  Is it for her office or her second home accommodation.  Like it or not, she might have been entitled to do so within the rules.

Don't get me wrong, I detest Rayner with all my passion. A look on some other threads will show that. However, on this particular issue, I cannot jump in and suggest what is so wrong.

Now if you're going to show me that it was for her own personal home and outside of the permitted rules, I may be in agreement with you.

It's been removed

Douglas Chapman spent £5.25 on a “snack for a guest” in Portcullis House

• Grant Shapps spent £79.99 on Microsoft Office. Expensing his famous spreadsheet…
  • Leo Docherty expensed £8.87 on a Ukrainian flag
  • Luke Pollard purchased a £2,195 air-conditioning unit
  • Matt Hancock expensed a £43.33 Times subscription, despite the fact MPs and staffers are all entitled to free subscriptions
  • Tobias Ellwood used your tax money for a £7.99 Amazon Prime subscription
Edited by cressida

1 hour ago, cressida said:

https://order-order.com/tag/expenses/

Some are so petty I would have thought they could pay it themselves on their salaries

Why? I have a work phone, I certainly wouldnt pay for a case myself given, erm, its a work phone.

The amount they earn is irrelevant, unless you are saying everyone should pay for their own work laptop, phone, office etc etc out of their own salary.

40 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

This. 

I fail to get as outraged on this subject as some people do.

The alternative to MPs spending the money themselves on offices, consumables etc... would be for it to be brought in house, and the money would still be getting spent regardless. Either way its not cheap to pay for offices, consumables, 2nd homes etc for 650 people, not is it reasonable to expect anyone from hundreds of miles away to commute every day.

The only dubious one I have seen in this thread is maybe the Amazon Prime subscription.

The Times one perhaps an error as he didnt realise he could get it free.

All I would suggest is that anyone within one hours commute of a London rail terminus shouldnt be allowed to claim for a second home, no idea what the rules currently state.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Why? I have a work phone, I certainly wouldnt pay for a case myself given, erm, its a work phone.

I and others use our own phones for work, because it's easier than using the works mobile, the works mobile would run out of data.

I also use my own equipment to wash my minibus because it's easier than going to the bus wash. I have also repaired minor things, such as the drivers mat.

But I am frugal and I enjoy saving my employer money, whereas MPs seem to enjoy spaffing our money up the wall.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

I and others use our own phones for work, because it's easier than using the works mobile, the works mobile would run out of data.

I also use my own equipment to wash my minibus because it's easier than going to the bus wash. I have also repaired minor things, such as the drivers mat.

But I am frugal and I enjoy saving my employer money, whereas MPs seem to enjoy spaffing our money up the wall.

I agree over 100 quid for a case is a lot, I certainly wouldnt be charging one that expensive to the company. 

Fact remains though if work want to provide me with a phone, and want to protect their asset, they can jolly well buy the case for it. MPs will hardly be alone in doing this ffs.

Edited by HeHasRisen