Mps Expenses Published Nov. 2022

15 minutes ago, fools said:

my apologies, it was meant to be tongue in cheek rather than sniping.

I'm easy about it, assuming there is a reasonable price limit per head. Private companies often do it, one meal per year is nothing in the grand scheme of govt expenditure. If they are talking about the Ivy, then no

Apology accepted.

For me it's the principle that people, often through no fault of their own will be unable to afford a Christmas lunch. No it isn't a great deal of money in the grand scheme of govt expenditure but having their political representatives enjoying a meal out with their staff, just looks and is tone deaf. 

The 2 MPs that I've heard speak on this issue were aghast that IPSA even thought this was a good idea. It's the MPs who get the blame when they're made to look like they're getting freebies that many don't. I would include this rule for anyone who works in the public sector, not just MPs.

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The 2 MPs that I've heard speak on this issue were aghast that IPSA even thought this was a good idea.

When you look at who is in charge of the IPSA, its staff and how it is appointed then it is no surprise!

10 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

When you look at who is in charge of the IPSA, its staff and how it is appointed then it is no surprise!

To be fair I've had a look at who's on the board and their senior leadership team, and I've never heard of any of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

To be fair I've had a look at who's on the board and their senior leadership team, and I've never heard of any of them.

Same here, but what I really meant is they all have been or are high ranking individuals and used to high wages with benefits and expenses and have a luxurious lifestyle. It come as no surprise then that they agree that MPs should have a big wage increases and come out with saying it's OK in the present climate to have christmas parties at taxpayers expense. It may be classed as independent but hardly represent the wishes of normal voters.

Just look up the current members and their profiles to see what I mean.

The Chief Exec:

Ian has also spent time in central government, including the Department for Education and the Cabinet Office.

Reminded me of this episode of Yes Prime Minister:

The Prime Minister must deal with a worsening financial crisis that requires all government Departments to cut their budgets.

The belt-tightening coincides with a hoped-for civil service pay increase and Sir Humphrey and Sir Frank Gordon, the Treasury Secretary, decide they need to ensure the pay rise is announced as soon as possible