Luxuries We Just Can't Afford.

I read somewhere that the majority of people in prisons are in for non payment of fines and other relatively minor crimes, which is why they have different categories of prisoners.

They're already pretty grim places in spite of what you read in the tabloids. 

However, I'd rather my taxes went into preventing people going there in the first place, with investment in young people, decent education, mentoring, youth clubs, stuff like that. Prisons would have to come way down the list of priorities. Nevertheless they should be useful places where prisoners have to work hard, with an attempt at least for reforming characters

Edited by Anna B
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Padders said:

OK, lets have a look at the prisons, someone mentioned these earlier.

A little bit tongue in cheek, but here goes.

I reckon a few adjustment's could save millions.

The question of prison reform keeps cropping up, Good, It's very important we reform the prison system so that prisons become disgusting and unhinged. No electricity, no light, no heat, and full to overflowing with inmates who are only allowed to eat only what they can catch, or grow in window boxes. Window boxes that they make from their own fingernail cuttings.

Unfortunately, other people think that prisons should be about rehabilitation rather than punishment.. That they should be places for quiet reflection, a place to have sing songs and afternoon poetry.

There is even a charity that exists to campaign for the rights of inmates and their families, and I'm sorry, but isn't that a bit weird? because when you decide to help those less fortunate than yourself, surely their are more worthy candidates, people with no homes, no arms and no chance. People with hideous diseases, people with their heads on back to front, and thats before we get to the heart-melting question of Children and Animals.

So why. I wonder, did someone wake up one day and think, "I know who I'll help, the man who stole my bicycle"

It actually happens though, and has a result we have the Prison Reform Trust, which apparently believes that a prison sentence should only be for the likes of Peter Sutcliffe, and even then, he should be treated with tenderness and a lot of Egyptian cotton.

Well, let me make something quite plain to the Lily-Livered eco- hippie vicars who think this way. 

If you come round to my house this evening, asking if I'd like to buy the man who stole my television a gift, I shall say "Yes" but only if I can shove it up his bottom.

I think community-based punishments would save millions, apparently, consider this, 34% of criminals given community punishments reoffend, compared with 74% of those sent to a nice warm prison.

Before you think I've gone all soft, consider this, If we take them out of their cells, dress them in orange jumpsuits, shackle their legs together and get them to hoe the municipal roundabouts in our local towns and villiages.

As a result, we will be able to tell them things, and after they've spent six months on a roundabout, being told things, quite loudly, they might start to understand that their life is not normal and there is nothing particularly brilliant about shoving a pint pot in another mans face.

How brilliant is that?

The hippy vicars are happy because the Crims are out in the open air, getting fit and doing something useful.

And were happy too- especially if we are allowed to throw things at them as we drive by, Tomotoes, Eggs, Bricks and so on.

I'm starting to like this community idea very much, and already I'm thinking of jobs around my house that need doing,

Painting, Decorating, Licking the toilet clean, the offender would see how a normal family lives, and I would be able to call him names and hit him over the head with a stick.

Criminals could be made to retrieve shopping trolleys from Britains most disgusting canals, they could be made to perform dangerous stunts with killer whales and lions at theme parks.

Put the cones out on motorways, 

Remember when Boy George was given a custodial sentence, can you imagine him doing work on a farm, they could make him put his head up a cow's bottom to see if it's calf is the right way round, while we call him names and pelt his backside with veg.

It gets better, because if lags are made to pick up litter and weeds from our central reservations , we'd need fewer expensive prisons, it would save local authorities a fortune, lower our council tax, and whats more, the decent people currently employed by councils to do menial jobs would be free to earn a proper living in the private sector.

To put it simply, it's a win win situation for everybody.

How do you escape the dreary northern winters, and win a trip to the Florida sunshine?

All inclusive resort with free meals, recreation faclities, indulge in cooking classes, floral arranging, yoga, gym. running track, baseball, movies, amateur theatre, and a compatible room mate?

No more bills to pay, rent, groceries, clothing, gas, electricity. Counsellors that never get tired of talking to you, about your feelings?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Padders said:

OK, lets have a look at the prisons, someone mentioned these earlier.

A little bit tongue in cheek, but here goes.

I reckon a few adjustment's could save millions.

The question of prison reform keeps cropping up, Good, It's very important we reform the prison system so that prisons become disgusting and unhinged. No electricity, no light, no heat, and full to overflowing with inmates who are only allowed to eat only what they can catch, or grow in window boxes. Window boxes that they make from their own fingernail cuttings.

Unfortunately, other people think that prisons should be about rehabilitation rather than punishment.. That they should be places for quiet reflection, a place to have sing songs and afternoon poetry.

There is even a charity that exists to campaign for the rights of inmates and their families, and I'm sorry, but isn't that a bit weird? because when you decide to help those less fortunate than yourself, surely their are more worthy candidates, people with no homes, no arms and no chance. People with hideous diseases, people with their heads on back to front, and thats before we get to the heart-melting question of Children and Animals.

So why. I wonder, did someone wake up one day and think, "I know who I'll help, the man who stole my bicycle"

It actually happens though, and has a result we have the Prison Reform Trust, which apparently believes that a prison sentence should only be for the likes of Peter Sutcliffe, and even then, he should be treated with tenderness and a lot of Egyptian cotton.

Well, let me make something quite plain to the Lily-Livered eco- hippie vicars who think this way. 

If you come round to my house this evening, asking if I'd like to buy the man who stole my television a gift, I shall say "Yes" but only if I can shove it up his bottom.

I think community-based punishments would save millions, apparently, consider this, 34% of criminals given community punishments reoffend, compared with 74% of those sent to a nice warm prison.

Before you think I've gone all soft, consider this, If we take them out of their cells, dress them in orange jumpsuits, shackle their legs together and get them to hoe the municipal roundabouts in our local towns and villiages.

As a result, we will be able to tell them things, and after they've spent six months on a roundabout, being told things, quite loudly, they might start to understand that their life is not normal and there is nothing particularly brilliant about shoving a pint pot in another mans face.

How brilliant is that?

The hippy vicars are happy because the Crims are out in the open air, getting fit and doing something useful.

And were happy too- especially if we are allowed to throw things at them as we drive by, Tomotoes, Eggs, Bricks and so on.

I'm starting to like this community idea very much, and already I'm thinking of jobs around my house that need doing,

Painting, Decorating, Licking the toilet clean, the offender would see how a normal family lives, and I would be able to call him names and hit him over the head with a stick.

Criminals could be made to retrieve shopping trolleys from Britains most disgusting canals, they could be made to perform dangerous stunts with killer whales and lions at theme parks.

Put the cones out on motorways, 

Remember when Boy George was given a custodial sentence, can you imagine him doing work on a farm, they could make him put his head up a cow's bottom to see if it's calf is the right way round, while we call him names and pelt his backside with veg.

It gets better, because if lags are made to pick up litter and weeds from our central reservations , we'd need fewer expensive prisons, it would save local authorities a fortune, lower our council tax, and whats more, the decent people currently employed by councils to do menial jobs would be free to earn a proper living in the private sector.

To put it simply, it's a win win situation for everybody.

The 'Hoeing' of Roundabouts will never work.

That other criminal organisation 'the Caravan Club' are there at Birdwell this weekend 🤣.  

On 18/11/2022 at 17:35, despritdan said:

What's unsustainable is this country's population which was around 50 million after the last war and has risen to around 70 million now, following decades of ever increasing levels of immigration, mainly of people from 3rd world and Islamic countries who've brought their cultural attitudes and practices with them. The things you describe used to be affordable because we had a sustainable population of hard working people who thought going to work and paying taxes was the way to behave. Contraception in the fifties allowed British couples to control the number of children they had which averaged 2.3 per family. The people coming in have brought their culture of large families and an attitude of Mother England will provide whilst the welfare state had produced an underclass who think a life on benefits is normal. You're right, the things we have taken for granted for decades are no longer affordable because there are too many people taking out and not enough putting in.

UK fertility rate is now 1.56. So all this immigration has... lowered the fertility rate?

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

that's going to be a problem in the near future. The population will decline as the elderly population grows.

I think whether it's a problem or not depends on your point of view. I'm quite happy for the UK population to drop, and I'm of the age who would lose out most from that, but have enough sense to know it's not all about me.

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

that's going to be a problem in the near future. The population will decline as the elderly population grows.

Me and Mrs Rockers did our bit.

I have suggested we come out of retirement, do our bit for the country n' all that 😋.

She didn't say no :clap:

(I daren't say what she did say though :blush:)

Keep safe out there 8)

• Haha 2