Luxuries We Just Can't Afford.

On 20/11/2022 at 03:31, trastrick said:

How do you escape the dreary northern winters, and win a trip to the Florida sunshine?

All inclusive resort with free meals, recreation faclities, indulge in cooking classes, floral arranging, yoga, gym. running track, baseball, movies, amateur theatre, and a compatible room mate?

No more bills to pay, rent, groceries, clothing, gas, electricity. Counsellors that never get tired of talking to you, about your feelings?

Nobody replied,  so for the record, here's the answer

Procure and groom minors for the rich and famous, like Ms Maxwell did.

Is NHS care a right or a luxury? It's certainly a privilege compared with some countries, but it's not free as we pay taxes and National Insurance towards it.

It is underfunded, but at the same time it's not value for money as much of it is privatised and used as a cash cow by certain pharmaceutical companies and outsourced service providers. Remember we, the taxpayers, are having to pay this as well but it goes straight into the back pockets of the multi-millionaires company owners, most domiciled in no tax countries, and never reaches the frontline.

The people who procure these services are also in cahoots with the millionaires so do nothing to seek out better deals, and also deter competition so create monopolies which the NHS have to pay. They have no choice, the free market is not working for the NHS.

This needs to change and the NHS needs reform, but how, when the multi-millionaires have it sewn up both ends. The answer is NOT an American system. 

...I think this might need a separate thread... 

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Seems fair enough, it cant include alcohol.

Would you care to expand on that?

As in, reason(s) why an MP should now be allowed to expense their Christmas (minus alcohol), instead of spending it out of their not-so-inconsequential and recently-increased wage?

34 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Entertaining is a normal business expense.

Why yes, and putting the staff’s Xmas do on expenses is certainly run of the mill.

But I’m struggling to envisage who else an MP would ‘entertain’ in a business sense, whether at home or some catered venue. Xmas-related business entertainment is usually reserved to good customers. Who, beside lobbyists funding MPs’ consulting gigs, are MPs’ “good customers”?

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

Why yes, and putting the staff’s Xmas do on expenses is certainly run of the mill.

But I’m struggling to envisage who else an MP would ‘entertain’ in a business sense, whether at home or some catered venue. Xmas-related business entertainment is usually reserved to good customers. Who, beside lobbyists funding MPs’ consulting gigs, are MPs’ “good customers”?

Perhaps throwing a small get together for constituents and/or local party activists is within the scope of it.

Besides, the article has since been updated with reaction from MPs. Including: "I don't know of a single MP who asked for this or intends to use it. It is totally inappropriate and I shall certainly not be taking it up."

Edited by HeHasRisen