The Holly And The Ivy

When they are both full grown ,

The thieves descend  into our woods and run away with the crown .

It happens every year around Grenoside and The Burncross , The florists and garden centre thieves pinch all the holly and leave not a berry so as the incoming winter visiting wild life can feed .

So that. Nice Christmas ring of holly that you pay a tenner for will most likely have been pinched robbing the wild life of vital food at this time year .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

It happens every year around Grenoside and The Burncross , The florists and garden centre thieves pinch all the holly and leave not a berry so as the incoming winter visiting wild life can feed .

So that. Nice Christmas ring of holly that you pay a tenner for will most likely have been pinched robbing the wild life of vital food at this time year .

Good point.

I cut holly from the wood near me, but always trim it up with fake berries. They look just as good, (or better) and last from year to year.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

37 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Them tree creepers  won’t  or the blackbirds or  the wax wings

They'll eat other berries though eg rowan, haw.

In my garden the blackbirds are feasting on walnuts.

But yes, florists etc should buy theirs from nurseries.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

They'll eat other berries though eg rowan, haw.

In my garden the blackbirds are feasting on walnuts.

But yes, florists etc should buy theirs from nurseries.

We’ll  the bags of holly gone from our woods are much more than a florist  could manage so it’s a whole sale. Job or a  nursery .