Reform Of The Nhs

1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

I think most people would agree that it's a desirable thing to have a healthcare service that's free at the point of use, but there's no doubt that the NHS is failing badly, despite the ever increasing billions of pounds allocated to it. My main view is that the Management and admin functions need to be reformed. Do away with the non-core services, like Diversity & Inclusion managers. etc - and spend more of the funding on core services. Purchasing and procurement should be better managed. Run this side of the NHS more like a business and source products that are value  for money - rather than always using 'preferred suppliers' who charge five quid for each lightbulb or toilet roll.

I also think we need to learn from other countries who seem to manage their 'free' Health Services better than we do. It seems widely acknowledged that France seems to do it better than us - so we could perhaps learn from the way they do it.

Maybe someone could mention it to Nicholas Soames, son of Winston Churchill and CEO of outsourcer Serco, who probably thinks £7 for a pair of disposable plastic gloves worn for 2 minutes and scrapped is cheap. 

Ecconoob   

No, as per usual it's a one-sided arguement blaming everything as the fault of privatisation. Everything always the fault of greedy, profit making corporates. Everything always the fault of those rich, neoliberals blah blah blah.

My Reply:

We used to have a very good form of in-house privatisation in the NHS. The wealthier could skip the queues by opting to pay for their operations / treatment paying the NHS  directly not via a subsidiary company. Not perfect, but at least that money went back into the NHS where it was most useful to fund other things in the NHS, and not to pay some fat cat shareholder's bonus.

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

So why did NHS Purchasing accept that price - if, of course, it is correct?

You tell me. Probably for the same reason they paid through the nose for duff PPI during the pandemic, and why they pay £50 for a non returnable leg cooler (a sleeve that you put ice in, that's complicated, uncomfortable and useless,) when a bag of frozen peas used to do the job just fine. 

Another one for you. 

A Neurorehabilitation centre that charges the taxpayer £15,000 per week, per patient, and turns out to be a not very good care home, that does no neuro- treatment to help the the patient whatsoever, just has that in its name

Edited by Anna B

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You tell me. Probably for the same reason they paid through the nose for duff PPI during the pandemic, and why they pay £50 for a non returnable leg cooler (a sleeve that you put ice in, that's complicated, uncomfortable and useless,) when a bag of frozen peas used to do the job just fine. 

So, that is one area of the NHS which is ripe for reform - yes?

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You bet.

But while ever it is run by Tory Grandees who also happen to be shareholders, can you see that happening? 

'Tory Grandees' do not run NHS Purchasing, and there are no 'shareholders' of the NHS.

I would hope, at a minimum, it was run by qualified and experienced members of the Institute of Purchasing & Supply - or  equivalent.

Edited by RollingJ
Added text.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Once again it comes down to a fair taxation system that gets a grip with the likes of Amazon, the big companies etc, and stops out and out tax avoidance/evasion.

Sod all to do with NHS reforms of course.  Billions upon billions pouring into it every year at an  every increasing rate. So your solution is taxes upon taxes and throw even more money at it.  Bravo! 

Oh and what's this 'fair' you are talking about.  Forcing corporations to be morally blackmailed into paying more than legally obliged to pay?Forcing the richest, who already contribute £3 in every £10 in income tax, to pay even more?  Introducing some robin hood tax the penalise those who dared to acquire some assets and build up some investments so they have to pay even more tax on top of the tax they already previously paid on their assets and income?

Yeah yeah heard it all before.

You know what I think's fair.  Suspending treatment or charging those who refuse to accept advice from medical practitioners and continue with their alcohol, high fat or smoking lifestyle.  Charging for emergency treatment as a result of dangerous hobbies, self-inflicted negligence, or drunken violence.  Applying penalties for those who fail to turn up for appointments without warning or malingerers taking the system for granted and wasting resources.  Enforcement and harsher penalties for absentee parents who breed, split up and then expect the state to pick up the tab and prop up the unfortunate one holding the baby....

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

'Tory Grandees' do not run NHS Purchasing, and there are no 'shareholders' of the NHS.

I would hope, at a minimum, it was run by qualified and experienced members of the Institute of Purchasing & Supply - or  equivalent.

You're wrong. The Serco that I mentioned in a previous post is a major participant in both outsourcing and being procured by organisations like the NHS. It provides both services and products to the NHS, such as Suffolk Council Community Care, Braintree Hospital and GSTS Pathology. and t

These companies have shareholders too. Everybody gets a cut, paid for by the NHS /ie our taxes.

Winston Churchill's grandson, Nicholas Soames, is a Conservative politician, and was a Conservative MP until 2019, although he has since moved onto the Conservative benches of the House of Lords where he is styled Baron Soames of Fletchley. He is still the CEO and majority shareholder of Serco and a number of the subsidiary companies it represents, and as such, he is a major recipient of money in the form of company dividends. He also drew an annual salary of £7 million+

https://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/serco-new/

Edited by Anna B

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You're wrong. The Serco that I mentioned in a previous post is a major participant in both outsourcing and being procured by organisations like the NHS. It provides both services and products to the NHS, and these companies have shareholders too. Everybody gets a cut paid for by the NHS /ie our taxes.

Winston Churchill's grandson, Nicholas Soames, is a Conservative politician, and was a Conservative MP until 2019, although he has since moved onto the Conservative benches of the House of Lords where he is styled Baron Soames of Fletchley. He is still the CEO and majority shareholder of Serco and a number of the subsidiary companies it represents, and as such, he is a major recipient of money in the form of company dividends.

https://www.nhsforsale.info/private-providers/serco-new/

They still don't run NHS Purchasing!!

BTW - I know who Serco are!!

Edited by RollingJ