Reform Of The Nhs

I've witnessed the excellence and regrettably the very worst in our NHS hospitals.  I would agree that a reform of the NHS is woefully overdue.  However, whoever takes on the role in Government will have to be pretty courageous and not have any hidden agendas. 

I'm sure many would agree that there is a mountain of wastefulness in this organisation,  including fraudulent activity which needs to be tackled before any meaningful reform begins.

10 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I'm sure many would agree that there is a mountain of wastefulness in this organisation,  including fraudulent activity which needs to be tackled before any meaningful reform begins.

They could start by taking action against those that don't turn up. Just been for me flu and shingles jabs and on the screen it stated 121 booked appointments were missed at this surgery in November! God knows how many are missed in the NHS overall.

23 hours ago, Dromedary said:

They could start by taking action against those that don't turn up. Just been for me flu and shingles jabs and on the screen it stated 121 booked appointments were missed at this surgery in November! God knows how many are missed in the NHS overall.

Totally agree with this. I've always said that one of the contributing problems to the 'free' NHS  is the appalling way he gets taken for granted then abused by many of its service users.  

23 hours ago, fools said:

wouldn't be surprised if it was made up

2 hours ago, spilldig said:

That's also what I think.

What makes you say that? It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

A busy group practice in a large suburb could easily have a few thousand patients on their roster.  If just 3 or 4% of those appointments made are missed it could easily reach that 121 figure.  

There are plenty of serial offenders who treat the doctors surgery like some social club,  booking appointments for trivial little things and forgetting all about it. Plenty of those without basic common sense to ring to cancel something they have pre-booked.  Plenty of those booking appointments when they didn't. even need to see the doctor and could have  their issue dealt with by somebody else.   A risk of cancellation charges, red flag notices or some sort of pre-deposit for appointments due to reckless behavior or lifestyle choices or malingering would soon shape them up a bit.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of the sort of abuse and wastage caused by it's users.  Yes, we can all blame the government for the failures but that is only one part of the story.  

What about some of those on repeat prescriptions who hoard piles and piles of medication that they are not even fully using.  My late grandmother was one of them. Receiving packs and packs of paracetamol as part of a wider monthly prescription - never thinking to tell the doctor that she didn't need all of it and to skip it off until the surplus ran down.  I bet she certainly wouldn't have been the only one.

What about all those cluttering up our emergency departments each and every week. All those drunken idiots, self-inflicted fight or fall injuries, boy racers who have ploughed their car into a tree, tweenagers flipping around their skateboards and BMX bikes without protection and smashing their face into a concrete block.... Do we really have to be bailing them out every week or is it about time we enforced a little bit of self-responsibility by risking them with charges or deductions or penalties as a result of such recklessness.

At least in my world of legal, if negligence is found against a company and some bod gets a compensation payment, we get a nice little demand from the NHS and DWP seeking recoupment back to the state for treatment fees and benefits a person received whilst recovering.   What about own deliberate negligence by members of the public?  Shouldn't the NHS be able to recoup at least some of that back?  

Free at source is one thing but why should that mean literally having to pick up all the pieces for nothing when someone doesn't take self-responsibility.  

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

What makes you say that? It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

booking appointments for trivial little things and forgetting all about it.

If you go to the trouble of sitting in the early morning phone scramble to get an appt, how could you forget to turn up.

Dentists more likely, as they stupidly try to make you book many months in advance,

Edited by fools

6 minutes ago, fools said:

If you go to the trouble of sitting in the early morning phone scramble to get an appt, how could you forget to turn up.

Dentists more likely, as they stupidly try to make you book many months in advance,

Hmmm... :huh:

Maybe they're all suffering from amnesia? :roll:

On 02/12/2022 at 13:00, fools said:

wouldn't be surprised if it was made up

I know two of the receptionists who work there that also say it is a common occurrence so I think it's genuine. I'll look later again in Jan and see how many the December total is.

24 minutes ago, fools said:

I normally book mine online as its easier as you can see the available appointments and also what doctor it is.

24 minutes ago, fools said:

My Dentist is quick when it comes to appointments and like most of the NHS they also text you the day before to remind you of the appointment. Granted like the DNA figures it can vary from area to area.

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

if all that is commonplace now, all the more surprising that 4 people every day fail to turn up or contact them beforehand - maybe they try to call, but get sick of waiting for the phone to be answered

the numbers on the wall thing is all a bit grandstanding/playing the victim for my tastes - they could ask people to let them know if they are not able to make it at the point the appointment is made - treat people like humans rather than a metric to be monitored

perhaps they could also put some stats on the wall about how bad their service is

Edited by fools

10 minutes ago, fools said:

if all that is commonplace now, all the more surprising that 4 people every day fail to turn up or contact them beforehand - maybe they try to call, but get sick of waiting for the phone to be answered

Maybe....;)

the numbers on the wall thing is all a bit grandstanding/playing the victim for my tastes

Maybe someone on here who actually works for the NHS can say whether they believe it to be true or not.

- they could ask people to let them know if they are not able to make it at the point the appointment is made - treat people like humans rather than a metric to be monitored

Do you think people agree to appointments knowing that they may not be available at the time of booking!:huh: