Reform Of The Nhs

11 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Maybe....;)

Maybe someone on here who actually works for the NHS can say whether they believe it to be true or not.

Do you think people agree to appointments knowing that they may not be available at the time of booking!:huh:

They only allow booking a few days ahead don't they?

no, but if you say to them directly please let us know if for any reason you are unable to make it, and back up that by text nearer the time, only complete prats would appear in this stat.

If you treat the punters like cattle, and display passive aggressive stats to make people conform, don't be surprised if they don't care. Stats are always used to manipulate ... what's the percentage.

what's the wait time, what's the misdiagnosis percentage, what's the satisfaction rating.

Edited by fools

13 minutes ago, fools said:

They only allow booking a few days ahead don't they?

And?

no, but if you say to them directly please let us know if for any reason you are unable to make it, and back up that by text nearer the time, only complete prats would appear in this stat.

Eh! I would have thought that was a given and what normally happens anyway, but you are probably right in that the ones that don't turn and included in those stats are complete prats.

Probably the same people who don't turn up for job interview or forget to get up because they didn't set the alarm!

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

21 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Totally agree with this. I've always said that one of the contributing problems to the 'free' NHS  is the appalling way he gets taken for granted then abused by many of its service users.  

What makes you say that? It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility.

A busy group practice in a large suburb could easily have a few thousand patients on their roster.  If just 3 or 4% of those appointments made are missed it could easily reach that 121 figure.  

There are plenty of serial offenders who treat the doctors surgery like some social club,  booking appointments for trivial little things and forgetting all about it. Plenty of those without basic common sense to ring to cancel something they have pre-booked.  Plenty of those booking appointments when they didn't. even need to see the doctor and could have  their issue dealt with by somebody else.   A risk of cancellation charges, red flag notices or some sort of pre-deposit for appointments due to reckless behavior or lifestyle choices or malingering would soon shape them up a bit.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of the sort of abuse and wastage caused by it's users.  Yes, we can all blame the government for the failures but that is only one part of the story.  

What about some of those on repeat prescriptions who hoard piles and piles of medication that they are not even fully using.  My late grandmother was one of them. Receiving packs and packs of paracetamol as part of a wider monthly prescription - never thinking to tell the doctor that she didn't need all of it and to skip it off until the surplus ran down.  I bet she certainly wouldn't have been the only one.

What about all those cluttering up our emergency departments each and every week. All those drunken idiots, self-inflicted fight or fall injuries, boy racers who have ploughed their car into a tree, tweenagers flipping around their skateboards and BMX bikes without protection and smashing their face into a concrete block.... Do we really have to be bailing them out every week or is it about time we enforced a little bit of self-responsibility by risking them with charges or deductions or penalties as a result of such recklessness.

At least in my world of legal, if negligence is found against a company and some bod gets a compensation payment, we get a nice little demand from the NHS and DWP seeking recoupment back to the state for treatment fees and benefits a person received whilst recovering.   What about own deliberate negligence by members of the public?  Shouldn't the NHS be able to recoup at least some of that back?  

Free at source is one thing but why should that mean literally having to pick up all the pieces for nothing when someone doesn't take self-responsibility.  

If it were happening on that scale I would have thought that GP,s would  go back to the old system of just having people turn up and seeing people without any appointments, and low and behold, seeing them straight away. 

40 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

NHS oficial data for June 2022 that is just for GP practices.

https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-information/publications/statistical/appointments-in-general-practice/june-2022#resources#resources

So in June alone 2,140,200 appointments overall were missed for one reason or another.

It's absolutely disgraceful. Equates 25.6m appointments missed over the course of a year.  25.6m occasions when a GP or practice nurse is sat there with a gap in their schedule which could have been taken by another patient.  25.6m times when a resource has been wasted.

I wish someone would do the maths and set out what that actually means in terms of cost of resources wasted and shove it in the face of all those point scoring MPs and over simplistic placard wavers who simply demand "give it more money".

Like I said earlier, the failures of the NHS stretch far beyond simply blaming the Tories. It's about time some of the other mismanagement, abuse and wastage is brought into the spotlight.  Including a bit of naming, shaming and penalising the very service users who take it for granted and also contribute to the waste of taxpayer moneys.

There is too much detachment between our taxes and the NHS. If people were physically seeing their own personal money being frittered away, I doubt they would be so flippant about keeping appointments or making appointments they don't need or engaging in reckless things that then require medical treatment.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's absolutely disgraceful. Equates 25.6m appointments missed over the course of a year.  25.6m occasions when a GP or practice nurse is sat there with a gap in their schedule which could have been taken by another patient.  25.6m times when a resource has been wasted.

Do you believe everything you read, does this pass your sniff test, half the adult population every year booking an appointment and then not turning up or notifying.

Where is the breakdown of the reasons, and (if true) where is the procedure to address the causes, because that is a scale that suggests a systematic failure of procedure

An efficient and busy organisation would use the free time to catch up on all their paperwork and stat watching

Edited by fools
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fools said:

An efficient and busy organisation would use the free time to catch up on all their paperwork and stat watching

If my ex-wife telephones for an appointment, in an emotional state, there is always space to fit her or her child in.

When I go to a booked appointment, they could be running ten minutes late because everyone has turned up. I am sure they are flexible, easy for the large practices.

21 minutes ago, dan_999uk said:

My colleague works in a GP surgery, recently they checked and in a practice with under 9000 patients the call stats were 
Monday:
Total number of inbound telephone calls: 2,804
Total number of answered calls: 2,244
Tuesday:
Total number of inbound telephone calls: 2,487
Total number of answered calls: 1,832

sniff test - even with an 8 hour day, that suggests they are answering 5 calls every minute - a machine might be able to do that, but not one or two receptionists

Edited by fools

1 hour ago, fools said:

Do you believe everything you read,....

Do you not believe the official stats that have been compiled by the NHS then? Those stats have to be sent automatically by the surgeries to comply with the laws in place and is done electronically.

Where is the breakdown of the reasons, and (if true) where is the procedure to address the causes, because that is a scale that suggests a systematic failure of procedure

That may be the case but the stats still back up the fact and proves that 2,140,200 GP surgery appointments overall were missed for one reason or another, a breakdown of reasons is not necessary for that conclusion. You seem also to miss the points being made in that a lot of the problems in the NHS are in fact due to systematic failures and incompetence and no amount of money being chucked at it (including pay rises) will change that bit. One of the reasons it needs reform as the thread title suggests.

It's all electronic and automatically generated by computer so no paperwork involved...:huh: My prescriptions are also sent automatically to my pharmacy so again no paperwork. You really need to get up to date with the times and how stuff works..

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Do you not believe the official stats that have been compiled by the NHS then?

Cmon, does it really pass your sniff test. 25million per year. Why would that many people book an appointment and just not bother.

throwing figures around is meaningless, what is the cause.

Edited by fools