Reform Of The Nhs

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Only if you discount the calls from many other sources as per ECCOnoob above, and ignore patients making multiple calls per El Cid.

neither are relevant to the point, as explained above

a healthy patient generates zero calls, not 91 per year

Edited by fools

On 21/11/2022 at 14:38, ECCOnoob said:

Yes the NHS is ripe for reform. Has been for decades. But if we're going to have the discussion, let's get real and consider full context. Let's stop putting it on a pedestal and banging on that somehow all it's operations are absolutely unequivocally vital. Let's stop portraying all its  workers as if they are selfless angels. Many of them aren't. Many of them are simply doing a job which some would argue can be done cheaper and more efficiently. Many of them are coasting to retirement after spending decades on the gravy train working their way up the layers and layers and layers of gradings.  Many of the services should quite rightly be in the private sector because there's no reason for the NHS to be spending vast amounts of money and resources keeping it in house and trying to recreate their own versions when other companies are far more established, far more skilled and far more efficient. In my opinion, this particularly applies to many of its administrative, auxiliary, catering and technical services.

You do realise many of these have been privatised for a good 30 years I hope.

4 minutes ago, fools said:

neither are relevant to the point, as explained above

a healthy patient generates zero calls, not 91 per year

And some patients will generate far in excess of that, and not all calls are from patients by any means............

Edited by Longcol

21 minutes ago, fools said:

Reminder of what was posted:

that suggests every patient in the area generates on average 1 call to the gp every 4 days

I am sure many calls are answered by the automatic voice, it then says that you are the 20th in the queue and they give up after 30 minutes. So their calls are answered, but they need to try again tomorrow.

Just now, El Cid said:

I am sure many calls are answered by the automatic voice, it then says that you are the 20th in the queue and they give up after 30 minutes. So their calls are answered, but they need to try again tomorrow.

If that's the basis of the stat (doesn't explain dropped calls unless the tech can't handle it) , then it's more evidence of stats can be used to allude to anything, which is my overall point.

Appointments can be made online and by telephone. Obviously the older generation do not book online.

The Government will feed us stats to devide us all.

I have never missed a GP appointment, I did once miss a dental appointment. Older people are very forgetful, perhaps if they miss multiple appointments they will be eligible for benefits?

We have to resist the Americanisation of our NHS at all costs.

Introduce change, even some form of privatisation, but it has to be carefully considered and nuanced, there are other models to be investigated: but not the farce that is the American system,

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We have to resist the Americanisation of our NHS at all costs.

Introduce change, even some form of privatisation, but it has to be carefully considered and nuanced, there are other models to be investigated: but not the farce that is the American system,

My bold. 

I thought you were totally against any form of privatisation of the UK health system? 

What are the other models of financing / privatisation available that you are considering are suitable? 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Appointments can be made online and by telephone. Obviously the older generation do not book online.

The Government will feed us stats to devide us all.

I have never missed a GP appointment, I did once miss a dental appointment. Older people are very forgetful, perhaps if they miss multiple appointments they will be eligible for benefits?

Try booking online at our two surgeries. Nothing available for two months 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Try booking online at our two surgeries. Nothing available for two months 

I’ve just booked online at mine.

Next Thursday.