Reform Of The Nhs

20 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Carrillion have gone bust!! Or haven't you checked?

Yes I did know. The blame was placed firmly between the bad judgement in the  boardroom executives and the accountants, in spite of having over 450 government contracts including HS2.

Reading between the lines, it was a set up (described as 'too cosy') between the two, which suggests brown envelopes and the like changing hands, the boardroom is described as 'complicit in the companies accounting practices masking serious financial concerns.' ....Not least the handsome bonuses given to executives, and £83million in dividends, in spite of a £580 pension fund deficit... You'd have to be blind not to spot that. (You'll have to dig out the board members, besides Phillip Greene, and all share holders because I can't be arsed,) but I guess they had enough time to offload shares before it became public anyway. KPMG were the longstanding accountants so this sounds like a cosy arrangement to me that was beneficial to all parties.

The government is suing the accountants, KPMG, which sounds to me like they've hung them out to dry by cutting them loose. I surmise they probably knew all about it, and hoped it would right itself before it came to light, in the manner of the financial crash, when the brown stuff hit the fan. Unfortunately it didn't so the government hung KPMG out to dry, then simply cut them loose and made them the scapegoat. Who knows. It's still under judicial review I believe so we'll probably find out when the various parties are too old or dead to make any difference. 

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Yes I did know. The blame was placed firmly between the bad judgement in the  boardroom executives and the accountants, in spite of having over 450 government contracts including HS2.

Reading between the lines, it was a set up (described as 'too cosy') between the two, which suggests brown envelopes and the like changing hands, the boardroom is described as 'complicit in the companies accounting practices masking serious financial concerns.' ....Not least the handsome bonuses given to executives, and £83million in dividends, in spite of a £580 pension fund deficit... You'd have to be blind not to spot that. (You'll have to dig out the board members, besides Phillip Greene, and all share holders because I can't be arsed,) but I guess they had enough time to offload shares before it became public anyway. KPMG were the longstanding accountants so this sounds like a cosy arrangement to me that was beneficial to all parties.

The government is suing the accountants, KPMG, which sounds to me like they've hung them out to dry by cutting them loose. I surmise they probably knew all about it, and hoped it would right itself before it came to light, in the manner of the financial crash, when the brown stuff hit the fan. Unfortunately it didn't so the government hung KPMG out to dry, then simply cut them loose and made them the scapegoat. Who knows. It's still under judicial review I believe so we'll probably find out when the various parties are too old or dead to make any difference. 

Which/whose lines??

38 minutes ago, Delayed said:

And yet another thread ultimately descends into 'I hate the Tories'. 

Can you just create a 'i hate Tories' specific thread and stick to that? 

Yup. I hate the Tories. With good reason. They are wrecking my country and its people's lives, with either incompetence or corruption. Probably a mixture of both.

We've got a 'I hate the Tories thread called 'the Conservative party,' but it's 1,000+ pages and too non-specific. This is a political thread, and everything is political. Considering Tories have been in power for 12 awful years, and Free market economics, the Tory ethos, for 40 years, they have to accept the blame for much which is wrong with the country today. They can't expect to not be mentioned.   

And somebody has to counter the barefaced lies and utter drivel they spout. 

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

Yup. I hate the Tories. With good reason. They are wrecking my country and its people's lives, with either incompetence or corruption. Probably a mixture of both.

We've got a 'I hate the Tories thread called 'the Conservative party,' but it's 1,000+ pages and too non-specific. This is a political thread, and everything is political. Considering Tories have been in power for 12 awful years, and Free market economics, the Tory ethos, for 40 years, they have to accept the blame for much which is wrong with the country today. They can't expect to not be mentioned.   

Rationally.

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Do it on the right thread then 

The main issue with the NHS is that it is still using the same business / funding model from when it first started back in 1948 & even then it was clearly going to become a continuous financial black hole that we have to keep pouring money into. 

It started with 144,000 staff with a budget of £130 million to treat a population of around 50 million, the majority of which were lucky, if they saw their 65th birthday.  By 1950 the budget was already at £400 million. 

Today the budget is around £135 billion with a staff of 1.4 million to treat a population of 67 million who, although we're living longer, are generally in better nick than our ancestors as only around 15% die before we're 65.

As with all public bodies, there are vast amounts of money wasted.  That sort of waste could be tackled from today & then let's see how that money could be reallocated to other areas of the NHS? 

However, as the NHS knows that the taxpayers money will still role in regardless, there is no urgent compulsion to tackle wasted money & resources. 

Edited by Baron99