Vintage Radio Hallam 1978 Recording Online

Found loads more tapes taken off the radio ..no Hallam stuff so far but if anyone is interested, I have an absolute trunkfull of Tony blackburn STEREO top 40 shows off Radio 1 FM from September 1979 to December 1981...all more or less complete, and SUPERB quality, all chrome tapes, and all could be put to mp3 easily. Anyone bothered? Tony Blackburn? The living Radio legend?

I've also been looking through mine and found a tape of the revive 45 show with Kelly Temple.

The year is 1967.....I think it was recorded in 1978 but I will ttry and find time to listen to it all.

Its a liitle fast on my modern tape machine and needs slowing down.

Love to hear the stuff though......

You will

Ripping as we speak, although this Tony Jasper tape sounds a bit like an expiated version of his programme :(

Mrs Grinder was looking forward to your tapes of "The Radio Hallam Hot 100...", or at least a taster of it :(

As I recall the top 5 always included Queen Bohemian Rhapsody & Led Zep Stairway to heaven.

Thanks for the nostalgia trip Goldenfleece! Well Done!!!

Hearing those old Hallam Jingles on the other thread seems to have got peoples juices flowing

What is the easiest way to rip them to MP3 Do I need to turn them into WAV files before converting to MP3 and can anyone recommend free or low cost software for Windows (or Linux at a push).

Grinderbloke

try http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's not a bad piece of software + it's FREE!!!

You'll have to download the lame encoding engine to convert your recordings to MP3 but you'll find the instructions on the Audacity web site

I lived in Warsop in Nottinghamshire until I left home at 18, and was a short wave listener from the age of about 12.

I've just taken a look in my 'listening log' (the 1977 A4 ring binder) and there are a couple of reports for Radio Hallam there on 1546 kHz. Somewhere I THINK I have a QSL card form the station.

The main thing I remember was the Station Ident - something like 'Your information station is...Radio Hallam'.

Hallam's signal wasn't quite as good as BBC Radio Sheffield in North Notts, but was totally listenable. They also put in a reasonable FM signal if you twiddled the aeril a bit. :)

Kelly Temple was last heard of working for one of the music channels in London....something like MTV but not as big as that one...but that was a few years ago now and I dont know what has become of him since......AFAIK he never went back into radio, or if he did, only some very obscure station that has not publicised him at all......

Mr Temple was famous on Hallam for getting his words muddled....he spoke excellant English but did suffer from pronunciation trouble from time to time...

Lets hear that Great Revived 45 show.....I used to have loads of them on tape, but alas, all deleted many years ago now.....

Ascended into the North Western corner of the attic this morning at a rediculous early hour and dragged down 7 boxes stuffed with cassettes, dating back as far as 1972. There is some more Hallam stuff in here SOMEWHERE, but also a great archive of old Radio 1 top 20 shows.....think Ill put some up on the web as its all classic stuff in its own way. I am sure most of these recordings are unique as I have almost every show from September 72 to October 2001..........

Check out

http://surferdude.netfast.org/radio1//

and various mp3 files of COMPLETE shows will be appearing, purely for historic value, no copyright infringement intended ....all small mp3 files as used new compression method, about 9 MB for one hour of audio, but sounds OK.

COME ON HALLAMLAND.....DIG OUT YOUR OLD CASSETTES OF HALLAM IN THE 70'S AND 80'S AND LETS GET THEM ON THE NET!!!! Even if edited, anything is very useful......there are few jingles from the early period I would LOVE to hear again...

Send them to me if you dont have the time to do it and I will gladly convert them to mp3's and set up a web page if we get enough of them.....

Sometime in the mid 70's I had one of those Radio Hallam yearbooks ..... took it to their reception & asked the woman if she could get anyone to sign it ... got a phone call a week later, everyone who presented at the time signed it & anyone else who was in the book also signed it on their page. Thats in my parents attic somewhere ( I hope)

Archived