Port Mahon

s264

The name Port Mahon, though rarely used nowadays, can still be found on modern maps. Originally it was the name of a short street in Netherthorpe. Later, the name Portmahon began to be used for the surrounding area, while the former street Portmahon became part of Watery Lane.
As can be seen from contributions to the old thread linked above, there is little doubt that the original street owed its name to patriotic sentiment after the port of Mahon on the island of Menorca had been captured by a British fleet in the 18th century.
The name Portmahon remains in Post Office records and there was a post office of that name on Netherthorpe Place from 1852 until it closed in c. 1946. It can be seen at the far left of this 1930s photo. https://i.postimg.cc/7LQG0yws/Port.jpg
Edited by hillsbro

9 hours ago, hillsbro said:
The name Port Mahon, though rarely used nowadays, can still be found on modern maps. Originally it was the name of a short street in Netherthorpe. Later, the name Portmahon began to be used for the surrounding area, while the former street Portmahon became part of Watery Lane.
As can be seen from contributions to the old thread linked above, there is little doubt that the original street owed its name to patriotic sentiment after the port of Mahon on the island of Menorca had been captured by a British fleet in the 18th century.
The name Portmahon remains in Post Office records and there was a post office of that name on Netherthorpe Place from 1852 until it closed in c. 1946. It can be seen at the far left of this 1930s photo. https://i.postimg.cc/7LQG0yws/Port.jpg

I noticed on the photo of the post office that it’s run by a W. Oldfield , I wonder by any chance he was Willie Oldfield/ William Oldfield.

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

I noticed on the photo of the post office that it’s run by a W. Oldfield , I wonder by any chance he was Willie Oldfield/ William Oldfield.

The sign would actually have read "A.W. Oldfield" as Arthur WIlliam Oldfield was sub-postmaster from c. 1922 until his death in 1943.