Finally Got One Of These: J.G. Graves Sheffield Wrist Watch

Not sure here is the right place to post or not, but  I’m so excited about this. It’s a late version of JG Graves small ladies pocket / fob watch. I believe it’s one of the few last patches of watch sold under Graves name since it’s no longer British made movement, instead it’s a Swiss made FHF movement inside, pin set / stem wind. It has been modified into a wrist watch, possibly  during WW1 and worn by one of the foot soldiers. 

I have been looking for this for quite a few years. Graves mostly made large pocket watch for man, but they did make few ladies pocket watch. And it’s even rarer to have one with winding on 3 o’clock. The movement is in OK shape, runs about right when laid flat, but quite a bit faster (5 min per day) when wearing, maybe one on the jewel bearing has worn out. It’s a FHF movement so shouldn’t be difficult to find parts.

I always want a wearable piece of Sheffield history that I can carry everyday, and here it is.

MEH4BD7_o.jpeg

MEH4BD8_o.jpeg

MEH4BDA_o.jpeg

MEH4BDC_o.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Go on then, I will ask , how much ?  Its

lovely by the way .

I paid about £40 from eBay as a broken watch. Took me few days to make it able to run sustainably now. But it’s still like 5 minutes error per day, which isn’t good. I assume the cost will come close to  £100 when I got all the right part and get it run correctly.

From the economy point of view, it isn’t worthy. Consider how much time I spent on it, I mean J.G. Graves watches on eBay rarely exceed £200. But I want one that I can wear like an every day watch, not something sit in the display cabinet.

50 minutes ago, sazabi2001 said:

I paid about £40 from eBay as a broken watch. Took me few days to make it able to run sustainably now. But it’s still like 5 minutes error per day, which isn’t good. I assume the cost will come close to  £100 when I got all the right part and get it run correctly.

From the economy point of view, it isn’t worthy. Consider how much time I spent on it, I mean J.G. Graves watches on eBay rarely exceed £200. But I want one that I can wear like an every day watch, not something sit in the display cabinet.

Wow , thought it would be worth a lot more 

20 hours ago, sazabi2001 said:

Nice find & why not share it with us Sazabi ✔️

I collect all sorts of things.

Does money (worth) come into it  

Picked up one of these from't car boot at weekend (paid a £1)

it came in a rather nice leather case and is in 'as new' condition.

I got the history of who's it had been, and the lady was glad it was going to someone who was going to look after it.

It will sit nicely with my collection of straight razors and other items from the 'Rolls Razor's' range.

See the source image

See the source image

For those young uns out there wondering what the hell the above is.

It's where your multi bladed 'safety' razor originated from.

Sat in a nice chrome case one part of lid had the sharpening stone, t'other (yep 2 lids)

has the leather 'strop' in it.

By now I've totally lost any younger members out there. 

Price wise they fluctuate both in purchase price and value.

Enjoy what you collect 8).

Avoid military helmets :blush:

(They take way too much room up :mad:)