Wigan Court House Allows Debt Collectors To Force Entry Into Peoples Homes

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, so contact them and have a discussion with them before it goes anywhere near court order territory, it isnt difficult.

As an aside this is none of the fault of the energy providers btw, they are making about 2% off everyone.

My point is that if you are behind and you are then paying for your usage plus the debt, you'll get even further behind and it will end up at court stage eventually. Until about 3 years ago I used to help people on low incomes do budget plans. It was incredibly tight then, you'd be trying to scrape 50p off one expenditure to add to another - now that the cost of food has rocketed as well as fuel, I can't imagine budget planning being any use.  Also "just contact them" sounds so reasonable, but I have spent up to two hours on hold to power companies before all this happened, you can't expect people to just take two hours+ out of their working day to sort this stuff out, their employers aren't going to wear it.

Britain is at war - by proxy, but still at war. The UK government is prolonging the war, which is fine because most people accept that this is about nipping Hitler MK2 in the bud, but that should mean at least a temporary nationalisation of the power supply, with a certain amount of debt soaked up through redistributive taxation.

9 minutes ago, Delbow said:

My point is that if you are behind and you are then paying for your usage plus the debt, you'll get even further behind and it will end up at court stage eventually.

Well no, this seems to be court orders for possession to get a prepayment meter installed. These can be put in without a court order, that was the point being made. Just needs the agreement of both parties without the need for embarrassment when the door gets kicked in.

11 hours ago, cuttsie said:

It took thee minutes and fifty one seconds for a Wigan court magistrate to allow bailifs and debt collectors to be allowed forced entry into 496 holmes to change gas and electric meters to coin in the slot or to simply cut people off .

We are happy to grant the application  and allow the warrants the chairwoman of the bench  said . The debt collector company applied by phone and the parting shot from the woman called Sarah replied :"OK thanks bye " 

And thats it except Wigan maggstrates are granting 2000 of these warrants every month .

Be afraid if you are struggling to pay the energy costs ,  The law is not on your side as these magistrates are not even asking any questions as to the circumstances poor people are in .

Can we have the source please? 

3 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

Can we have the source please? 

He eventually stated the source.

Assume this is the online version - https://inews.co.uk/news/inside-courtroom-minutes-force-hundreds-people-prepayment-meters-2008927

Cuttsie decided to miss this bit out:

"The customers had all been notified, she said, adding that “there are no occupiers who are vulnerable”. None, she said, had vital medical equipment that needed electricity."

Edited by HeHasRisen

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well no, this seems to be court orders for possession to get a prepayment meter installed. These can be put in without a court order, that was the point being made. Just needs the agreement of both parties without the need for embarrassment when the door gets kicked in.

Ok, I see where you are coming from. Do you not think the reason some people don't want a pre-pay meter is that they know they won't be able to afford to top it up? Sure, there will always be people who just couldn't be arsed to contact the power company, but equally there are plenty of people who are probably just trying to last out with heating and the means to cook for a bit longer. 

I hated debt work, because it's not simply a case of putting on a Cholmondley-Warner voice and going "Now see here Mr Smith, if we simply transfer your expenditure on gambling, drinking and prostitutes into the columns for gas, electricity and food, you'll find you have ample to pay all of your bills". The essential outgoings so often match the income, and then it only takes one thing to go wrong - your cooker or fridge breaks down or the car you need for work fails its MOT -  and you have to borrow a bit to make it through and then you slowly circle down into debt hell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

Ok, I see where you are coming from. Do you not think the reason some people don't want a pre-pay meter is that they know they won't be able to afford to top it up?

So whats the alternative, other than "let customers build the debt up more and more"? There isnt one, is there? "Reducing the price" isnt an option at the moment.

Edited by HeHasRisen

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

He eventually stated the source.

Assume this is the online version - https://inews.co.uk/news/inside-courtroom-minutes-force-hundreds-people-prepayment-meters-2008927

Cuttsie decided to miss this bit out:

"The customers had all been notified, she said, adding that “there are no occupiers who are vulnerable”. None, she said, had vital medical equipment that needed electricity."

Lol, you really should deal with power companies more often, they can barely answer the phone let alone keep accurate information about their customers' needs. I expect a fair chunk of their staff need their shoelaces tying for them before they can set off for work.

Just now, Delbow said:

Lol, you really should deal with power companies more often, they can barely answer the phone let alone keep accurate information about their customers' needs. I expect a fair chunk of their staff need their shoelaces tying for them before they can set off for work.

Isnt there a vulnerable customers register? Fairly easy to see if someone is on this or not, I would have thought.

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

I'm frozen, and relatively young and healthy.

Heaven knows how the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions are coping.

A  answer that is some thing these court  judges and magistrates should ask questions about .

They could even comment on the billions energy companies are making .

Will they ,      not on your Nellie  they are more interested in keeping the pro rata going .

Keeping the plebs in their  place , How dare they be poor  , get on your bikes get a job on a rate that will not pay the gas and electric bill .

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

So whats the alternative, other than "let customers build the debt up more and more"? There isnt one, is there? "Reducing the price" isnt an option at the moment.

Pretty much, although actually just write some of it off, which you can do easily through general taxation. It's not really any different from rationing in WW2, which gave many people a better diet than they could afford pre-war.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Isnt there a vulnerable customers register? Fairly easy to see if someone is on this or not, I would have thought.

Yes, but it relies on the customer registering themselves, it's not like they cross-check against health records or owt. And the thing about vulnerable people is that they often don't do the things that help them stay safe, because of the reasons that make them vulnerable in the first place.