Wigan Court House Allows Debt Collectors To Force Entry Into Peoples Homes

So a energy company sells its gas/electric to people and they don't pay their bill, what do you think should happen?

If Morrison's gave me some shopping and then I refused to pay for it, I would be charged with shop lifting or theft.

Most gas/electric meters have an off switch, it hasn't even got cold yet, just a bit cold this week.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So a energy company sells its gas/electric to people and they don't pay their bill, what do you think should happen?

If Morrison's gave me some shopping and then I refused to pay for it, I would be charged with shop lifting or theft.

Most gas/electric meters have an off switch, it hasn't even got cold yet, just a bit cold this week.

I'm frozen, and relatively young and healthy.

Heaven knows how the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions are coping.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Heaven knows how the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions are coping.

Well I'm coping fine thanks. Sat here at the moment typing this with the heating off at 10pm (only set to 18c), warm pair of socks, jogging bottoms, t-shirt, covered by a lightweight roll top fleece and that covered by a fleece sweatshirt. Not bulky but layered and warm! Got a small thermos with some hot blackcurrant juice in ready at the side of the bed and just popped a hot water bottle in for when I do crash out later. Having the PC under the desk is handy as well as the warm air from that rises up and helps keep me warm.

Not paid any electricity for a few months now because of the fuel handouts and still have £34 in credit (prepay meter) which should last another 2 or so weeks yet. This months gas DD was £17.40. Not started on the pensioners winter fuel Bonus of £500 yet! :)

Edited by Dromedary
did a slinny

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So the energy companies should do nothing because some people choose to ignore them and pay either nothing and not enough?

The world doesn't work like that, mate. What do you think would happen if (for example) you paid your rent or mortgage £300 short every month and didnt discuss it with the bank/landlord first?

Oh and meters are the property of the energy companies, this is in the contract you have with them, go and have a read.

If you dont like it, go off grid.

That’s all fine. Of course people should pay their bills.

But…

Any pre-payment meter should be operated at the very cheapest tariff that the energy provider offers. That is never the case, prepaid meters are always a total rip off. That isn’t fair and it must change.

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

Well we’ve had two mornings at zero and the rest in low single figures this week. please give us you definition of cold. :huh:

10 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

So the energy companies should do nothing because some people choose to ignore them and pay either nothing and not enough?

The world doesn't work like that, mate. What do you think would happen if (for example) you paid your rent or mortgage £300 short every month and didnt discuss it with the bank/landlord first?

Oh and meters are the property of the energy companies, this is in the contract you have with them, go and have a read.

If you dont like it, go off grid.

Oh come on, there are plenty of people who were already struggling and  just don't have enough money to pay their full energy bills now. When you're in debt to a power company, even if you contact them they'll still add some of your debt to your regular bills, meaning you'll just get further into debt. This is happening because of the cost of gas and electricity, not because millions of people suddenly couldn't be arsed to pay anymore.

7 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Oh come on, there are plenty of people who were already struggling and  just don't have enough money to pay their full energy bills now. 

Indeed, so contact them and have a discussion with them before it goes anywhere near court order territory, it isnt difficult.

As an aside this is none of the fault of the energy providers btw, they are making about 2% off everyone.

Edited by HeHasRisen