Wigan Court House Allows Debt Collectors To Force Entry Into Peoples Homes

Just now, Delbow said:

Pretty much, although actually just write some of it off, which you can do easily through general taxation. It's not really any different from rationing in WW2, which gave many people a better diet than they could afford pre-war.

Everyone is getting 400 quid each, and the disabled/those on benefits even more, through "general taxation". Lest we forget this energy cap too. So plenty of it is already getting "written off", although given the way most of this money is paid I wouldnt be at all surprised if the money is being spent on other things instead, it should be a direct credit to energy accounts like the 400 quid is rather than cash payments to bank account, as quite frankly people cant be trusted.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Everyone is getting 400 quid each, and the disabled/those on benefits even more, through "general taxation". Lest we forget this energy cap too. So plenty of it is already getting "written off", although given the way most of this money is paid I wouldnt be at all surprised if the money is being spent on other things instead, it should be a direct credit to energy accounts like the 400 quid is rather than cash payments to bank account, as quite frankly people cant be trusted.

We're basically arguing about how much should be subsidised aren't we? 

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

We're basically arguing about how much should be subsidised aren't we? 

In essence, aye. Personally I think the level that has been provided the last few months is plenty, especially to the benefits/disabled cohort.

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

In essence, aye. Personally I think the level that has been provided the last few months is plenty, especially to the benefits/disabled cohort.

The level of debt that has arisen suggests it's not enough though. The last time Britain was in a war that had a material impact on the population, the government intervened in a massive way to keep living standards at a minimum level. Since then, we've marketised many of the the essentials of life and embraced a low wage economy. It's not surprising that this is now causing great hardship for many people.

I should also point out that it's possible to be disabled and better off than someone in work. I don't have a problem with that, but it's a mistake to assume that disabled people are automatically the worst off financially, although they certainly can be. Especially when the DWP have cut their money off for some arbitrary reason.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

The level of debt that has arisen suggests it's not enough though.

I dunno about that tbh, if someone is on benefits they have had, I think, £1150 worth of support in the last 6 or so months (including the three £67 payments yet to come). Knock that off a average bill of £2500, thats putting it not far off the level it was before all this unpleasantness started.  If someone is an above average user, do something about it. Thats the real issue here, people are wasteful and its now time to be proactive.

I suspect the issue in some cases is people have used the cash for other things, I wont make sweeping generalisations in suggesting what the cash went on instead but it should have gone straight onto energy accounts imo.

Edited by HeHasRisen

I fear that we’re in danger of overlooking the non-trivial fact , that energy producers have rarely made bigger profits than now, if ever.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-30/uk-predicts-up-to-170-billion-excess-profits-for-energy-firms?leadSource=uverify wall

Always useful to keep a full context in mind.

Am I against profits? Absolutely not…

…Am I against unethical profiteering and usury? Absolutely yes.

Want a “winter of discontent” that’ll make the ‘79 one and the Brixton riots pale into insignificance? Then just carry on like that. When neither the government nor the law protect you and your family from losing life essentials any more…

Edited by L00b
  • Like 1

Clearly it's open to governments to make a range of decisions. My mate in France messaged me the other day to complain that his fuel bills are due to go up by 15% soon 🙄

3 minutes ago, L00b said:

I fear that we’re in danger of overlooking the non-trivial fact , that energy producers have rarely made bigger profits than now, if ever.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-30/uk-predicts-up-to-170-billion-excess-profits-for-energy-firms?leadSource=uverify wall

Always useful to keep a full context in mind.

Am I against profits? Absolutely not…

…Am I against unethical profiteering and usury? Absolutely yes.

Want a “winter of discontent” that’ll make the ‘79 one and the Brixton riots pale into insignificance? Then just carry on like that.

It's laughable the way they try to pretend they only have a retail arm. "But our retail arm only makes a tiny profit"

And your wholesale arm?

"Wholesale arm? Hmm, do we have on of those?"

Petrol forecourts make little or no profit, so that would mean the oil companies are on the verge of bankruptcy, aye.

11 hours ago, Mister M said:

I'm frozen, and relatively young and healthy.

Heaven knows how the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions are coping.

If you believe in climate change, then it's ok to be cold, if you don't want to be cold wear long johns.