Strike Action

Doctors are in short supply and should receive an inflation matching pay rise or above.

They are being offered 2% which is an effective 10% cut.

Lorry drivers got big increases and bonuses because they were in short supply.

Conservatives generally believe in the principle of supply and demand. If oil and gas is in short supply, the price goes up.

The same principle applies to labour.

55 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Doctors are in short supply and should receive an inflation matching pay rise or above.

They are being offered 2% which is an effective 10% cut.

Lorry drivers got big increases and bonuses because they were in short supply.

Conservatives generally believe in the principle of supply and demand. If oil and gas is in short supply, the price goes up.

The same principle applies to labour.

An argument is that they private sector may get bigger pay rises but not the other benefits public service workers get such as job security, good pension contributions by the employer, longer holidays and better sickness pay and leave.

I recall the days when the civil service were relatively low paid but this was compensated for by job security and a pension.

It has been muted that the strikers could get the pay rises they want but the employers pension contributions could be reduced to pay for them.

3 hours ago, Slinny said:

You are what you think you are , I loved hard manual work , I loved riding hard on a cycle , if a Forman put pressure on me I would respond ,  I loved mixing with people like myself ,  Some wanted more out off life , good luck to them , Some could not wait to get away from where they were brought up ,and felt ashamed to tell people where they came from , ,  where I was brought up , people were buying two bed semi detached , and lived like church mice, when I was 7 years old they built the council  estate two hundred yards down our road ,  some off the parents up my part off the road said don’t mix with those off the council estate , Well I could not wait to go down there  I am a old man who always loved mixing with my own kind off people  Working Class as I define it ,so vote as I think fit , So pick bones out off that , as I know you will , Men Don’t go on strike as a game, they go for a fair days pay to live on , 

Well, when I worked for the post office as a postman, those voting to go on strike were mainly doing it to have a few days off or to go fishing.  That's a fact.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Well, when I worked for the post office as a postman, those voting to go on strike were mainly doing it to have a few days off or to go fishing.  That's a fact.

Perhaps they needed a contract with more days off then?

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

An argument is that they private sector may get bigger pay rises but not the other benefits public service workers get such as job security, good pension contributions by the employer, longer holidays and better sickness pay and leave.

I recall the days when the civil service were relatively low paid but this was compensated for by job security and a pension.

It has been muted that the strikers could get the pay rises they want but the employers pension contributions could be reduced to pay for them.

Just been watching BBC two, emergency doctors, they should put a zero on their salaries, as far as I am concerned.

They are not paid enough.