Strike Action

I haven't read all of this thread, just the last few pages, catching up. 

I am one of the professions who has recently been called to strike.  I personally think I am paid quite well for what I do (though my good friend thinks that's because I don't value myself...)

It's not just about the money.

It's about chronic underfunding for years, meaning there just aren't enough staff to meet the demand.
Teams across the board are struggling to recruit and retain staff, and the people who are there are just told to "work more efficiently" - I can spend time with someone and do a good job, or I can rush through and probably miss important things, potentially putting the patient at risk.

I would love to be able to spend the time with patients to do the best job I can, make them feel valued, and dignified,  but I have to spread myself so thin to try and see everyone who needs to be seen, it's just not possible.

Performance is measured on throughput, not outcomes.

It devalues the profession. 
So no, it's not about greedy, grasping people wanting more money for themselves. It's about highlighting the conditions that don't allow us to do the best job we can and make a difference in somebody's life.

Maybe I should re-train as a politician.  Does that actually require any qualifications or training?  From what I can tell I could do a lot less work and get paid about twice as much.  And award myself large payrises whenever I want...
  • Like 4

Back in the early 80's when I worked for the NHS, the Thatcher government issued a paper called "Patients First",

Patients were metioned in the foreword and the rest of the document was around a more "managerial culture" - which led to a huge increase in the numbers of managers and cuts to everything else - and "improved opportunities for private practice" - or less resources for NHS patients.

Like she said  - "The NHS is safe? In my hands??"

40 years on the Tories attitude to the NHS seems unchanged.

Edited by Longcol

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Back in the early 80's when I worked for the NHS, the Thatcher government issued a paper called "Patients First",

Patients were metioned in the foreword and the rest of the document was around a more "managerial culture" - which led to a huge increase in the numbers of managers and cuts to everything else - and "improved opportunities for private practice" - or less resources for NHS patients.

Was this the era when it was considered managers did not need to be leaders ?

Edited by harvey19

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Was this the era when it was considered managers did not need to be leaders ?

It was an era when "leadership" appeared to be who could shout loudest and get rid of most cleaners, porters, catering staff - and appoint more managers and accountants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

All true. But after 40 years it has changed, it's got worse. 

And that's in spite of seeing what their decisions have done to the NHS.

Many people have criticised the imbalance in NHS structure with too many managers and not enough workers, but nothing is done to address the situation. Privatisation has become a cash cow for the providers but nothing is done. The shortage of doctors and nurses has been in the pipeline for years, but nothing has been done.

In the hands of the Tories, it's all empty promises and lies.

We pay our taxes, while they deliberately drive the NHS into the ground. 

Judging by the number of workers planning industrial action, isn't it time for a General Strike?

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Many people have criticised the imbalance in NHS structure with too many managers and not enough workers, but nothing is done to address the situation. Privatisation has become a cash cow for the providers but nothing is done. The shortage of doctors and nurses has been in the pipeline for years, but nothing has been done.

Judging by the number of workers planning industrial action, isn't it time for a General Strike?

The NHS certainly hasn’t got worse over the last 40 years. It has improved beyond recognition.

Using the private sector is also fine, if they add value to what we currently have.

A general strike is a childish notion. Don’t be silly.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Gud post Anna,

I've managed to hit the like bottom,

But hits a big late to replie.

Bin in "Padders Bar" selerbrating the Blides win, so I'm a but incocksitated to communt.

Injoy yuor eveninn Anna, stay save, 

gid nit, luv you...x

• 3 weeks later...